Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Legal
The Legal department at Gemini is making history every day, as we creatively apply the legacy of law to the future of digital assets. On this team, you will tackle complex and unprecedented applications of the current legal system to the revolutionary industry of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. At Gemini, Legal plays a critical role in guiding innovation and driving value for the business, while upholding our core tenets of security, compliance, and trust for our customers. Join us and help define the Legal Department of the Future.
The Role: Product Counsel
As a Product Counsel at Gemini, you are the ultimate general athlete. Leveraging both breadth and depth of experience at a law firm and/or as in-house counsel, you will help Gemini tackle the complex legal challenges that confront a disruptive emerging asset class. You will support Gemini’s Exchange, Crypto Core and NeoBank business lines. By navigating unprecedented legal complexities across Product, Business Development, Finance and Accounting, Technology, and Security, you’ll play a critical role in building our business at the forefront of the future of money.
- Provide risk-principled legal, regulatory, and strategic advice to product, design, marketing, and technology teams during all phases of the product development lifecycle.
- Provide holistic legal support of complex financial arrangements at the intersection of cryptocurrency and traditional financial arrangements, including crypto custody, lending, OTC trading, and other complex financial products.
- Draft and negotiate complex agreements and establish thoughtful standards, such as SLAs, for retail and institutional customers based on regulatory requirements and market norms.
- Manage projects effectively and collaboratively.
- Build positive and influential relationships with Gemini leadership, cross-functional partners, and external stakeholders regarding regulatory matters that impact our products.
- Collaborate with and support the General Counsel and the rest of the Legal team to evaluate and communicate legal risks and develop creative solutions to bridge business priorities in a changing regulatory landscape.
- JD degree
- Minimum 6 years of relevant legal experience at a law firm or in-house
- Fluency in English
- Member of a US state bar in good standing
- Knowledge of regulatory frameworks governing lending, payments and depository account products, and experience in handling inquiries and enforcement matters related to such products.
- Familiarity with U.S. securities laws, including SEC and FINRA broker-dealer rules.
- Experience in managing licensing applications and supervisory matters for regulated financial services businesses in the U.S. and abroad.
- Experience drafting customer-facing disclosures and terms for a retail payments business.
- Proven ability to proactively, efficiently, and accurately assess and mitigate legal risks in a fast-paced environment.
- Track record of creative problem-solving, excellent written and oral communication skills, and creation of strong and trusted cross-functional relationships.
- Strong knowledge of and interest in disruptive technology; prior experience working in fintech, digital assets or high-growth tech companies a plus.
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $182,000 - $254,000 in New York City, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data.
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.
Something looks off?