Senior Counsel, Real Estate
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
About the Company
Flow aims to create a superior living environment that enhances the lives of our residents and communities by developing, acquiring, owning, and managing multifamily apartment buildings and the services and technology inside those buildings.
Fulfilling our mission will require an exceptional group of people whose collective output is greater than the sum of its individual parts. Our team members are energized by the opportunity to impact our residents’ lives in meaningful ways. They are bold and creatively ambitious, driven by relentlessly high standards, act with a sense of urgency and accountability, and always, above all, operate with integrity, loyalty, and trust.
About the Role
The Real Estate Counsel role is pivotal to Flow’s mission as this person will execute on real estate growth strategy with speed and business alignment. From looking at various deal structures to assisting operating teams deliver the greatest experiences, the Real Estate Counsel will be firmly entrenched within the company’s most important operations. The ideal candidate is high-achieving and self-assured but open-minded and equipped with incredible communication skills.
- Draft, review, and negotiate contracts for a wide range of real estate transactions, including acquisitions, leasing, property management agreements, financing, and ancillary real estate documents such as amendments, assignments, SNDAs, estoppels, NDAs and license agreements.
- Manage outside counsel to produce high-quality documents utilizing optimized cost structure.
- Work closely with the Real Estate and Finance teams to ensure deal terms capture all-important business needs and considerations and provide advice to proactively manage the company's legal and operational risks while supporting business goals.
- Lead legal due-diligence and coordinate and support broader DD efforts on all new investments
- Ensure deals are structured in a manner that achieves compliance with local land use and zoning; arrange for licensing and regulatory approvals where necessary.
- Counsel relevant team members on key agreement terms, facilitating a smooth and professional relationship between property-facing teams and our property partners.
- Address lease and agreement interpretation issues, assess risk and make sound and practical judgment calls
- 6 years of experience (some in-house experience a plus!)
- Admission in good standing to practice law (NY preferred)
- Excellent business knowledge of real estate field, including nuances of real estate finance and operations
- Superior contract drafting and deal negotiation skills
- Flexibility, creativity and agility allowing for ability to pivot quickly when necessary
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Able to code-switch between legal, real estate, executive and layman’s terms
- Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to handle a variety of complex agreements under tight deadlines and high pressure
- Proactive by nature and can act decisively
- Team player committed to uplifting colleagues and the company
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
• Paid-Time Off
• Commuter benefits
• 401(k) Plan
Flow is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity and/or expression, pregnancy, Veteran status any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, we will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.