Senior Property Accountant
Accounting & Finance, Sales & Business Development
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
About the Company
Flow aims to create a superior living environment that enhances the lives of our residents and communities by developing, acquiring, owning, and managing multifamily apartment buildings and the services and technology inside those buildings.
Fulfilling our mission will require an exceptional group of people whose collective output is greater than the sum of its individual parts. Our team members are energized by the opportunity to impact our residents’ lives in meaningful ways. They are bold and creatively ambitious, driven by relentlessly high standards, act with a sense of urgency and accountability, and always, above all, operate with integrity, loyalty, and trust.
About the Role
The Property Accountant will support the preparation of monthly and year-to-date property financial statements; covering profit & loss, balance sheets, budget variance analysis, and bank account reconciliations. This position will collaborate with property managers, regional managers, asset managers, and acquisition teams; ensuring precise accounting information aligns with company policies and accurately reflects property activity.
- Perform monthly and periodic cash reconciliations on all bank accounts including operating, tenant security deposit and escrow accounts
- Provide support for the monthly close process for properties, involving the preparation of monthly financial statements and accompanying schedules, as well as the compilation of monthly balance sheets
- Review monthly receipts for residential and commercial tenants communicating any discrepancies with Property Controllers and on-site personnel
- Audit the on-site tenant billing process to ensure accurate accounting for monthly charges
- Collaborate with on-site leasing team to facilitate delinquent tenants into collections, monitor collection agency’s site for progress and write-off uncollectible charges
- Assist in the vendor invoice process with the accounts payable department, ensuring the accurate classification of expenses and conducting periodic inspections of posted invoices to report potential reclassifications
- Request and review payroll reports from the Director of Payroll for accuracy, encompassing leasing commission payments, proper cost allocation between general ledger accounts, and ensuring timely collections of costs from various billed properties
- Assist with compiling documents and support for year-end federal and state tax reporting and financial statement reviews
- Responsible for general accounting functions, including but not limited to accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, and fixed assets record keeping
- Identify and resolve financial reporting discrepancies/issues
- Undertake special projects and requests from management and operations as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent experience required
- 3+ years of experience in property management accounting
- Experience and familiarity with Yardi
- Experience with accounting software and financial data
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency with Google Workspace and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word)
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
• Paid-Time Off
• Commuter benefits
• 401(k) Plan
Flow is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity and/or expression, pregnancy, Veteran status any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, we will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.