Extend is modernizing the $100 billion-per-year protection plan industry using cutting-edge technology and top-notch customer service.
Our technology-forward omnichannel and API-first solution allows any merchant to offer protection plans, both online and in store, while also providing a merchant's end customers with a vastly improved and modern support experience that eliminates many of the issues customers face today with legacy underwriters. More recently, Extend also launched a shipping protection solution, covering consumers in the case of lost, damaged or stolen packages. This is further expanding the company’s addressable market and value creation for merchants.
We are a venture-backed startup in downtown San Francisco led by founders who have previously had multiple successful exits. Extend simplifies the technology stack for the product and shipping protection industries.
About the Role:
You will work on Extend's Finance & Risk Analytics team, taking charge of monitoring, reporting and managing the loss ratio through reserve analysis. You will have the opportunity to bring sophistication and efficiency in risk mitigation and profitability improvement for the organization.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Lead quarterly actuarial reserving analysis and process for Extend, including the detailed analysis as well as preparation of the Statement of Actuarial Opinion and Actuarial Report.
- Be the POC for the CFO and Head of Accounting regarding insurance financials.
- Take the lead in managing risk-bearing entities, including obligors and insurance captives.
- Lead other Actuaries and Data Scientists in loss/claims forecast through transitional actuarial and statistical modeling.
- Be responsible for financial data integrity through exploring appropriate tools and governance.
- Guide and work with data scientists to build and maintain data architecture for actuarial and accounting input.
What We’re Looking For:
- A curious, entrepreneurial actuary with plenty of grit, analytical prowess, creative thinking, and initiative
- Bachelor's degree from a relevant major, Master’s degree is a plus
- 7+ years of work experience as an actuary with increasing responsibility, 3+ years of experience with reserving and insurance financials, some insurance pricing experience
- Fellowship in the Casualty Actuarial Society (FCAS) strongly preferred
- Experience with warranty (service contracts) preferred
- Experience with insurance captive or obligor management preferred
- Ability to communicate/present across the organization, especially to teams with less data & analytics experience
- Expertise with SQL, experience with Python or R preferred
- Empathy and humility
Estimated Pay Range: $145k per year salaried*
*The target base salary range for this position is listed above. Individual salaries are determined based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, work location and job-related knowledge, skills and experience.
Life at Extend:
- Working with a great team from diverse backgrounds in a collaborative and supportive environment.
- Competitive salary based on experience, with full medical and dental & vision benefits.
- Stock in an early-stage startup growing quickly.
- Very generous, flexible paid time off policy.
- 401(k) with Financial Guidance from Morgan Stanley.