People Business Partner
Extend is modernizing the $100 billion-per-year protection plan industry using cutting-edge technology and top-notch customer service.
Our technology-forward omnichannel and API-first solution allows any merchant to offer protection plans, both online and in store, while also providing a merchant's end customers with a vastly improved and modern support experience that eliminates many of the issues customers face today with legacy underwriters. More recently, Extend also launched a shipping protection solution, covering consumers in the case of lost, damaged or stolen packages. This is further expanding the company’s addressable market and value creation for merchants.
We are a venture-backed startup in downtown San Francisco led by founders who have previously had multiple successful exits. Extend simplifies the technology stack for the product and shipping protection industries.
About the Role:
As the People Business Partner, you’ll act as a consultant to managers and employees involved in the day-to-day business and operations of a fast-paced tech company. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to develop and implement corporate programs and initiatives. You will work on a wide array of People matters, such as talent management, strategic headcount planning, organization design, and employee career pathing.
This position requires a highly motivated person who is proactive and passionate about problem-solving and finding business solutions. Equally important is the ability to work cross-functionally across the organizing and balance employee considerations with business priorities. This position requires hands-on tactical work and client service as well as strategic advice and leadership coaching. Strong experience in multiple Human Resources disciplines is necessary and one must demonstrate business acumen. If you are looking to be part of a hardworking and fun team, we’d love to talk with you!
What You’ll Do:
- Act as an internal consultant by analyzing and recommending solutions to People Team issues. In particular, proactively identify issues and solutions to continuously improve infrastructure.
- Conduct regular recurring meetings with assigned business groups to identify and implement efforts to improve performance and culture.
- Lead and/or assist in the development and implementation of People Team policies, procedures, and programs.
- Advise leaders on the interpretation and application of People Team policies and practices.
- Manage and resolve complex and bespoke employee relations issues. Conduct effective, thorough, and objective investigations, including management and tracking.
- Analyze trends and metrics in partnership with the People Team Operations team to develop solutions, programs, and policies.
- Prepare reports and studies to meet business and corporate needs.
- Assist with assessment and development of strategies to address issues of workflow improvement and/or organization structure for assigned business groups.
- Conduct periodic audits of human resource activities to ensure compliance with laws, policies, and procedures.
- Lead corporate communication strategies for key employee programs including onboarding, performance management, and regular company updates.
- Support and implement corporate programs for assigned clients, such as performance management, compensation benchmarking, employee recognition programs, and workforce planning initiatives.
- Work closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention, embracing corporate values and culture to support Extend’s continued growth and success.
- Maintain employee records and required compliance documentation.
- Participate in developing department goals, objectives, and systems.
What We Are Looking For:
- At least 5 years of directly applicable experience in Human Resources as a business partner, consultant, or generalist.
- Ideally, experience working in a small to mid-size, start-up environment, which may be combined with some additional experience in large organizations.
- Resilience, flexibility, and the ability to work quickly and effectively cross-functionally.
- Resourceful and curious to solve problems that you have not encountered before - a strong, fast, and adaptable learner.
- Excellent judgment and superior emotional intelligence.
- Proven track record of working with, coaching, and influencing senior leaders.
- Comfortability and prior experience managing the planning, development, implementation, and administration of People Team Programs.
- Working knowledge of multiple human resource disciplines, including compensation practices, organizational diagnosis, diversity, performance management, and federal and state employment laws.
- Bachelor's degree required with a preference for an advanced degree in Human Resources, Business, Management, Psychology, or other related fields of study.
- Human Resources certification highly desired.
Estimated Pay Range: $130,000 per year salaried*
*The target base salary range for this position is listed above. Individual salaries are determined based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, work location and job-related knowledge, skills and experience.
Life at Extend:
- Working with a great team from diverse backgrounds in a collaborative and supportive environment.
- Competitive salary based on experience, with full medical and dental & vision benefits.
- Stock in an early-stage startup growing quickly.
- Very generous, flexible paid time off policy.
- 401(k) with Financial Guidance from Morgan Stanley.