Chief Compliance Officer
Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get life insurance for the next million families. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones.
We leverage deep technology and data science to streamline the life insurance process, making it more accessible and convenient. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally multi-week process into a modern digital experience for our users that can take just minutes! We’ve issued billions in coverage each month and eliminated the traditional barriers, ushering the industry into the modern age. Our full-stack technology platform is the backbone of family financial health.
We make getting life insurance easier, faster and better for everyone.
Our investors include General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, SoftBank, and the investment vehicles of Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, Robert Downey Jr and others. This year, we were named on CB Insights' Global Insurtech 50 list and BuiltIn's Top 100 Midsize Companies in San Francisco. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families!
About the Role
Ethos is seeking an experienced Chief Compliance Officer to further our mission to protect the next million families. We will do this by building a lasting company with a culture that fosters honesty and integrity. The right candidate will have a track record of scaling and leading Compliance and insurance regulatory programs. In this role you will work proactively with cross-functional teams to identify issues, and then to develop and drive practical business solutions. You will implement compliance controls and guidelines to strategically mitigate risk to the organization by structuring, iterating, applying, and training employees on company policies and procedures in-line with applicable law and regulatory requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead our enterprise Compliance program and the Compliance Team
- Promote a culture of compliance and ethical behavior within the company
- Design and implement internal controls, policies, and procedures to ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws
- Provide internal trainings
- Provide reports on the state of the compliance program to our Leadership team and Audit Committee
- Manage periodic internal and third party audits into regulatory and compliance matters
- Act as primary compliance and regulatory POC with our carriers, enterprise distribution channels, and regulators.
- Research and provide actionable guidance on current and proposed laws and regulatory requirements (e.g., statutes, regulations, bulletins) which may impact the organization
- Be highly responsive and service-oriented, with a demonstrated ability to maintain strong working relationships with demanding internal clients
- Oversee entity-level insurance licensing (Producer & TPA licenses), complaint handling, marketing reviews, and other core insurance compliance functions
- Prepare for and assist with responding to any market conduct exams and regulatory matters
Qualifications and Skills:
- Juris Doctor degree and membership in good standing in at least one state bar
- A minimum of 15 years of experience working at a top national or regional law firm, insurance consulting firm, and/or the law or compliance department of an insurtech or technology company focusing on life insurance regulatory matters
- Experience leading and implementing best-in-class AML/KYC, OFAC, FCPA, TCPA, CAN-SPAM, data privacy, and other compliance programs
- Ability to multi-task and work independently and with cross-functional teams, while adapting quickly to ambiguous and rapidly changing environments
- Experience managing other compliance professionals
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Possess sound and practical business judgment
- Analytical and research skills, including experience with NILS
- Intellectual curiosity and willingness to expand knowledge base
- Comprehensive knowledge of the insurance laws, regulations, rules
- Familiarity with data privacy regulations
- Practical yet creative problem-solving approach that emphasizes addressing business needs while protecting the company
- A desire to help design and build world-class legal and compliance processes as we scale
- A passion for protecting families
The US national base salary range for this full-time position is $195,000 - $275,000. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include applicable bonus, equity, or benefits.
You can find further details of our US benefits at https://www.ethoslife.com/careers/
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. At Ethos we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.
To learn more about what information we collect and how it may be used, please refer to our California Candidate Privacy Notice.