Senior Life Underwriter
Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get life insurance for the next million families. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones.
We leverage deep technology and data science to streamline the life insurance process, making it more accessible and convenient. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally multi-week process into a modern digital experience for our users that can take just minutes! We’ve issued billions in coverage each month and eliminated the traditional barriers, ushering the industry into the modern age. Our full-stack technology platform is the backbone of family financial health.
We make getting life insurance easier, faster and better for everyone.
Our investors include General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, SoftBank, and the investment vehicles of Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, Robert Downey Jr and others. This year, we were named on CB Insights' Global Insurtech 50 list and BuiltIn's Top 100 Midsize Companies in San Francisco. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families!
About The Role
Are you a life insurance underwriter with 3+ years of experience, who is passionate about the profession of underwriting? Are you interested in getting in on the ground floor of a growing team at an insurtech startup? Would you enjoy working in a collaborative environment where your opinion matters?
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understand underwriting policies, guidelines, practices and procedures
- Determine whether to accept, modify, or decline a risk through evaluation of an individual's medical history or physical condition, occupational hazard, and financial background
- Communicate effectively both written and verbally to explain underwriting decisions
- Influence and champion changes to improve processes while maintaining mortality expectations
- Work efficiently to gather information necessary for decision making
- Ability to independently work assigned requests with minimal direction.
- Comfortable with ambiguity.
- 4 year degree preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of risk selection (medical, non-medical, financial)
- Ability to think critically and problem solve independently
- Positive, inclusive, agile, and collaborative mindset
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Term and permanent life insurance underwriting
- In process or completed industry designations, i.e. LOMA, ALMI, FMLI, ALU, FALU
The US national base salary range for this full-time position is $64,000-$104,000. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include applicable bonus, equity, or benefits.
You can find further details of our US benefits at https://www.ethoslife.com/careers/
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. At Ethos we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.
To learn more about what information we collect and how it may be used, please refer to our California Candidate Privacy Notice.