Who We Are
Ellevest is a fast-growing, venture-backed financial services start-up built by women, for women. Our mission is to get more money in the hands of women, no matter where they’re starting or how far they’ve come. We started by building the only gender-aware online investing platform that takes totally un-ignorable realities (like pay gaps, different salary curves, and women’s longer lifespans) into account. Then we added financial planning services for Ellevest clients, plus a full-service private wealth management service that helps high net worth people, families, and institutions align their financial power with their values.
Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck after she realized that the financial services industry was built by men, for men, systemically leaving women behind. During her Wall Street days, she served as CEO of Smith Barney, CEO of Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, and CFO of Citi. Ellevest has raised $145 million from investors including Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, and Venus Williams.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Ellevest is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. Data shows that diverse teams are more innovative, make better decisions, and lead to greater employee engagement. When hiring, we look for culture add, not culture fit. That means hiring people who bring new perspectives and different experiences to our team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About This Position
As a Product Designer at Ellevest, you will be responsible for user research and design efforts cross-platform, turning complicated problems into intuitive experiences, and always keeping the user at the center. You’ll collaborate closely with our product managers and engineers at every stage from defining problems and requirements to overseeing builds.
You are wholeheartedly focused on the user, and believe that regular testing and iteration is the key to delivering a successful product. You have a sharp sense for when to apply established patterns and styles, as well as when to evolve them. You have a track record of making bold recommendations to stakeholders for the best user experience, even if that means going back to the drawing board to create a solution that balances both user and business needs.
Day-to-day you will:
- Partner with product and engineering teams to define problems & assess opportunities
- Map user flows, create design solutions, and prototype interactions
- Oversee the building process cross-platform in both responsive web and native app
- Balance business objectives and customer needs
- Work iteratively in a highly Agile and Scrum environment
- Give and receive design feedback among peers
- Contribute to research and user testing efforts to hypothesize and validate customer needs
- Use qualitative and quantitative data to iterate and optimize product features
- Be an evangelist for UX and UI best practices and design excellence
- Deliver design solutions that challenge convention and create engagement
- Collaborate with the team to build a scalable design system
We’re looking for:
- 3+ years of product design experience
- A portfolio of (shipped) digital product design showcasing complex and creative UX solutions, exceptional visual design and solid information architecture
- Experience iterating on a live product
- Ability to move quickly from concept to whiteboard to execution
- Ability to prioritize projects, communicate progress, and meet deadlines
- Passion for testing and optimizing, always with the client top of mind
- Experience in an early stage startup environment, particularly at a similar stage and size to Ellevest (Series B) or earlier
- Ability to thrive in an evolving high growth environment
- Passion for our women-oriented mission
Ellevest's compensation framework is based on relevant data, benchmarking and research for comparable companies and on our internal pay equity policies. The prospective annual salary range for this role is $105,000-$118,000. In addition to base salary, Ellevest compensation offering for full-time employees will also include the following benefits: equity, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical, dental and vision health insurance (80% of premiums covered by employer), unlimited paid time off and flexible scheduling, paid parental leave, learning and development opportunities, financial support for accessing reproductive healthcare, free access to an Ellevest account and discounts on Private Wealth Management offering. The actual offer, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be determined by a number of factors including (but not limited to) the applicant's experience, skills, certifications, as well as internal equity among our team.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest was founded in New York City, but today, our fully remote team is spread across the whole United States. As a member of the team, you can expect to do work that directly impacts our mission and the lives of real women every day.
We’re also dedicated to building a work environment where everyone on our team can grow and thrive, with flexible working hours and time off; remote work policies designed for transparency and effective cross-team collaboration; ongoing team building and professional development; and more.
Do you think you could thrive in this role?
Please send us your application — even if you don’t check every single box. No two people’s career paths look exactly alike, and skill sets come in many different forms. We can’t wait to hear about yours.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the questions at the bottom of this application.