Senior Data Engineer - Remote, US
At Earnest, we believe in a world where paying for your education takes less time than earning your degree. Join us on our mission to empower anyone seeking higher education to reduce the total price tag of their degree, supercharge their ability to pay down student debt, and get on the right financial track fast.
A little background on Earnest: We're a remote first FinTech company with an accomplished team who believe consumer lending can be radically improved and are doing something about it. We are disrupting the trillion dollar student loan industry by redefining what it means to be creditworthy. We created a company that combines data science, streamlined design, and technology to:
- Build products that simplify the lending process
- Personalize loans to suit the needs of our customers
- Engage with our customers through more human experiences
What makes an “Earnie” culture:
Earnest’s culture is as dynamic as the products we’re building and defining every day. We’re a fast-growing company, and that means we’re constantly integrating the new perspectives of every individual.
Earnies define our culture as:
- Earn Happy Customers
- Our success comes from anticipating their needs and providing the solutions they’re looking for.
- Better is Better
- The path to great means getting better every day. We push ourselves, and each other, to remain curious and think differently.
- PhD in Moving Fast
- Our customers are tired of long wait times and large student loan bills so we constantly seek out ways to deliver faster.
- Passion for Challenges
- Perseverance and optimism are just the start to take on the inertia of a national trillion-dollar problem.
- Impact is a Team Sport
- We maximize our impact when we act as one team.
Our Earnie's are fun, innovative, and willing to rollup their sleeves to help their team succeed in a fast-paced environment. If this sounds like you, and you want to join us on our mission to radically disrupt a trillion dollar fintech industry, keep reading to find out how.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will report to the Lead Data Engineer and will:
- Collaborate on developing services that underpin predictive models, enhancing lending decisioning, underwriting operations and risk optimization for our product.
- Play a pivotal role in setting up Data Infrastructure and building a solid foundation for efficient data management, governance and observability.
- Develop data models and schemas optimized for business analytics and reporting.
- Create frameworks and abstractions that empower Data Scientists, Analysts, and Engineers to build efficient and reliable data pipelines.
- Contribute to creating and maintaining automated data pipelines that facilitate seamless data flow for analysis and model development.
Experiences you will bring with you:
We welcome candidates with diverse perspectives and experiences to contribute to our data engineering excellence. Your qualifications include:
- 5+ years of professional development experience building and optimizing data pipelines and architecture encompassing microservices, databases, monitoring, and scalability.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language such as Scala, Python
- Extensive experience with OLTP databases (e.g., Postgresql) and OLAP databases (e.g., Snowflake) and DBT tool
- Proficiency in data pipeline management and using orchestration frameworks like Apache Airflow
- Familiarity with container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes) and cloud technologies (AWS S3, EC2, VPC, IAM, RDS, DMS, SNS, EMR) and infrastructure tools like Terraform.
- Proven ability to collaborate cross-functionally and communicate effectively with Data Scientists, Analysts, and Engineers.
- Dedication to creating frameworks and tools that simplify and enhance the data pipeline development process.
- Solid understanding of data security, encryption, and compliance practices
- A passion for staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in data engineering and technology.
Earnest believes in enabling our employees to live their best lives. We offer a variety of perks and competitive benefits that include:
- Health, Dental, & Vision benefits plus savings plans
- Work anywhere in the U.S.
- Mac computers + work from home stipend to set up your home office
- Monthly internet and phone reimbursement
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 401(k) plan to help you save for retirement plus a company match
- Robust tuition reimbursement program
- $1,000 travel perk on each Earnie-versary to anywhere in the world
- Competitive days of annual PTO
- Annual “my day”
- Pet insurance!
- Competitive parental leave
- Plenty of Earnest swag, optional in person team gatherings, picnics, celebrations, and plenty of fun virtual events
At Earnest, we are committed to building an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging enables us to move forward with our mission. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage anyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Earnest provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for the position in a manner consistent with the Fair Chance Ordinance.