Director, Data Science
If you’re good at what you do, you can work anywhere. If you’re the best at what you do, come work for Doma.
Want to infuse a $34B sector of the insurance and real estate industry with predictive analytics and a tech-forward customer experience? Join Doma and send an entirely new type of real estate model into the world.
Doma offers solutions for lenders, real estate professionals, title agents, and homeowners that make closings vastly simpler and more efficient, reducing cost and increasing customer satisfaction.
- People First - We communicate with honesty and respect to our customers, colleagues, and partners.
- Better Together - We believe diversity, equity and inclusion creates value through the differences in our backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
- Solution Driven - We encourage calculated risk-taking, and we know that some of our best learning happens by making mistakes along the way.
- Act with Integrity - We hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards in all of our business practices.
About the Role
We're seeking an outstanding Director of Data Science (or Decision Science) to take the lead on improving and expanding our core, patented, industry-shaking insurance underwriting systems. This suite of ML models represents the future of title insurance and has been in production since 2018, closing 85k+ loan transactions, and saving time and cost as compared to the legacy manual underwriting workflows used in our industry, without increased risk.
As an ideal candidate, you are excited about dividing your time as follows: code development/review (50%), strategic and customer-facing planning with the executive team and external regulators (25%), and management of a small team of data scientists (25%).
You’ll take part in a fun and respectful corporate atmosphere at Doma, which includes interacting frequently with an accomplished executive team and other high performing teams throughout the organization. Much more than a model builder, you'll talk directly with VP+ customers and federal and state-level regulators. You’ll negotiate deals with vendors, be part of company strategy discussions, and negotiate agreements on data stewardship and model governance with deep legal minds in the public and private sectors.
- You will lead a small team of talented machine learning engineers and data analysts, and will inspire this team to perform their best
- You will improve existing machine learning models and develop new ones
- You will be a hands-on leader, writing production code and monitoring models via dashboards and analytics
- You will work cross-functionally within the company, interfacing with multiple technical teams, as well as with product and operations teams and the company’s executive team
- You will serve as a go-to expert in risk & forecasting for our team and the company. This includes reducing model losses, improving the fidelity of our projected losses, fighting fraud, and identifying new risks in our domain
- You will inspire confidence in non-ML stakeholders and regulators
- You have 7+ years of relevant industry experience, including writing production code and deploying machine learning models
- You have 2+ years of experience as a people manager or mentor
- You are excited for a Director role that involves wearing multiple hats, such as hands-on coding, project leadership, or interfacing with executives and external partners
- You have expertise in Python, SQL, Docker, etc.
- You understand fundamental data science concepts, and have experience with common tooling and packages used for machine learning
- You have strong fundamental knowledge of core programming concepts, including object-oriented programming, unit testing, etc.
- You've built ML-driven decisioning systems (g. credit risk, fraud, or insurance) and worked with engineering teams to deploy them.
- Experience in one of the following domains is a huge plus: real estate, fintech
Shown below is the lowest to highest base salary we in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the base salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, seniority, geographic location, performance, shift, travel requirements, sales or revenue-based metrics, any collective bargaining agreements, and business or organizational needs. At Doma, compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case.
This job is also eligible for the following compensation components: Bonus & Equity
How we’ll value you and make your life a bit easier:
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits to eligible employees: medical/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), generous vacation time, and paid bonding leave.
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, or any other form of compensation that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole discretion, consistent with the law.
We believe the most valuable investment we can make is to build an outstanding team of colleagues and leaders who are passionate about our mission.
We currently offer the following benefits to all Full-Time employees:
- Work/Life Balance - We encourage taking Paid Time Off (PTO)!
- 12 Weeks of Paid Family Bonding Leave (Maternity and Paternity)
- Incredible medical, dental, and vision benefits options to allow you to customize to you and your family’s needs that all start on your first day of employment
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) & Health Savings Account (HSA)
- 401K with company match program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Short-Term & Long-Term Disability
- Commuter Flexible Spending Account (i.e. Transit or Parking)
- Supplemental Life and AD&D Insurance
- Auto & Home Insurance Group Life Insurance
- Critical Illness, Injury and Hospital Insurance
- Pet Insurance
We believe in Equal Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.