Distinguished Engineer - Payments
Creating innovative financial operations solutions that help small and mid-size businesses save time, become more efficient and grow.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
BILL is looking for a Distinguished Engineer to lead our payments innovation initiatives! You will lead the charge and drive technical decisions in order to scale our card issuing and transaction processing pipelines. You will also collaborate with cross functional teams, architects, product managers and fellow engineers to create synergies between various BILL products and build next-gen payment capabilities for our customers. Your charter will include building systems and optimizing processes for resiliency, availability and scale. You lead by example and influence to drive sustainable outcomes.
We’d love to chat if you have:
- 15+ years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 12 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 8 years experience; or equivalent experience
- 15+ years experience in building highly scalable, secure, and resilient software
- 7+ years experience in B2B SaaS fintech space
- Ability to quickly learn new skills, programming languages, and technologies
- Lead thought process and architectural design with good understanding of industry products and positioning to be able to influence right technology recommendations
- Collaborative, high-trust approach to team building and collaboration
- Experience architecting large scale, high volume, high availability services
- Experience with object oriented languages
- Familiarity with event sourcing or Kafka
- Advanced Splunk querying skills and/or experience with DataDog dashboards
- Knowledge of microservice architecture, patterns and common anti-patterns.
- Excellent written communication and presentation skills.
Nice to Have:
- 7+ years experience in payment processing and money movement technologies
- Stays current with the latest FinTech and payments industry innovations and emerging technologies.
- Experience with Elixir, Ecto and Phoenix preferred
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
For positions that are in office we support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days. Check out our LinkedIn Life Page for each location and Discover BILL.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants