Senior Data Scientist- Economics
Build your career with purpose. Be a champion for small and mid-size businesses.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and we continue to expand to other locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
We support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
This position resides in the Payments Analytics & Economics department of the Analytics & Data Science group. The purpose of the Payments Analytics & Economics team is to derive economic insights from company and macroeconomic data for internal decision-making and external communications.
The Data Scientist will report to the Senior Director of Economics. The role has three areas of responsibility: (1) Research, develop, and maintain databases and quantitative-based frameworks using BILL data. We compare this data to external economic and financial metrics. The external data ranges from US macroeconomic variables, to sectoral indicators, and financial market indices. (2) Collaborate with other departments to obtain, organize, and present data relevant to specific economic and financial research products. (3) Contribute to the development of business and economic insights by conducting research on a variety of topics.
To succeed at these three objectives, the ideal candidate will have a keen interest in data science and economics, and will be comfortable when working with unknown factors and incomplete data. The candidate will possess tact, diplomacy, flexibility, and willingness to collaborate with a broad range of data scientists, analysts, and executives across the firm. This necessitates a willingness to shift gears to accommodate changing mandates in a fast-moving environment, and to work with a sense of urgency.
We’d love to chat if you have the following skills and experience:
- A Bachelor's degree in Data Science (or equivalent) or in Economics with an emphasis in mathematics, statistics, or programming.
- 3-6 years of related work experience, or a Master’s or Ph.D. degree in Data Science or Economics with 2-3 years of related work experience.
- Experience using applied mathematics, including statistics, linear algebra, or calculus in a similar role is preferred.
- A basic knowledge of Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, and International Macroeconomics is preferred.
- Exceptional data analysis and problem-solving skills. Data modeling experience, including the ability to design data sets to help accelerate analytics work.
- Expertise in SQL with experience with Python a plus.
- Experience building dashboards is preferred. Tableau is preferred, and Google Looker ML, or AWS QuickSight is acceptable.
- Experience with data warehouses and BI tools.
- Applied scientific methods and iterative research driving outcomes would be a plus.
- Stakeholder engagement and thought partnership.
- Product management would be a plus.
- Expertise with advanced data visualization skills, and ability to communicate data-heavy content.
- Ability to Extract, Transfer, Load (ETL) data.
- 100% paid employee health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
This role is based in California.
The estimated base salary range for this role is noted below for our office location in San Jose, CA. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in BILL’s bonus and equity plan. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
For positions that are in office we support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days. Check out our LinkedIn Life Page for each location and Discover BILL.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants