Staff Network Engineer
Being a Champion for SMBs is good for business. And a career defining opportunity for you
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
This position is based in San Jose. We support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Staff Network Engineer to join our dynamic team. As a Senior Staff Network Engineer, you will play a crucial role in designing, implementing, and maintaining our network infrastructure. You will lead network architecture projects, provide technical expertise, and mentor junior engineers. This position requires a deep understanding of network protocols, security principles, and industry best practices. The ideal candidate should possess strong analytical skills, excellent problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Design and implement scalable, secure, and high-performance network architectures, including LAN, WAN, and data center environments.
- Lead network infrastructure projects, ensuring their successful completion within scope, budget, and timeline.
- Strong knowledge in Campus networks including WiFi, Reliability and RF link.
- Working experience in wireless security and NAC.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to junior network engineers, assisting with their professional growth and development.
- Perform network capacity planning, monitoring, and optimization to ensure optimal network performance and reliability.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including IT operations, security, and application development teams, to ensure seamless integration and alignment of network infrastructure with organizational goals.
- Conduct network assessments and audits to identify areas for improvement, develop solutions, and implement enhancements.
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex network issues, serving as an escalation point for critical incidents and problems.
- Evaluate emerging network technologies, staying up-to-date with industry trends, and making recommendations for their adoption as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain network documentation, including network diagrams, configurations, and standard operating procedures.
- Implement and enforce network security measures, including firewalls, VPNs, and access controls, to safeguard network resources and data.
We’d love to chat if you have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field. Relevant certifications (e.g., CCNP, CCIE) are highly desirable.
- PaloAlto Firewall design, deployment.
- Proven experience working as a network engineer, with a focus on network design, implementation, and troubleshooting.
- Strong knowledge of network protocols, including TCP/IP, BGP, OSPF, MPLS, VLANs, and VPN technologies.
- Extensive experience with network hardware and technologies, including routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, and wireless networks.
- Proficient in network security principles and best practices, with hands-on experience in implementing and maintaining network security measures.
- Solid understanding of network monitoring and management tools (e.g., SNMP, NetFlow, Wireshark) for troubleshooting and performance analysis.
- Experience with network automation and scripting (e.g., Python, Ansible) is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, with a track record of resolving complex network issues.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong leadership skills, with the ability to mentor and guide junior engineers.
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid employee health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
This role is based in California.
The estimated base salary range for this role is noted below for our office location in San Jose, CA. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in BILL’s bonus and equity plan. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants