Senior Staff Product Manager, Approvals Workflow
Being a Champion for SMBs is good for business. And a career defining opportunity for you
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
This position is based at San Jose. We support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
As we continue on our mission to serve small business owners globally, you’ll be leading the vision and strategy for our AP Approvals workflow, ensuring our customers maintain their desired visibility and control over bill payments as we streamline their workflow.
You will work across teams and stakeholders and across the entire product lifecycle - Taking ideas from inception, defining and refining opportunities, working with Design and Engineering to bring the idea to life, working with Sales and Marketing to launch, and working with Support to learn and iterate.
Specifically in this position you will:
- Spend time with customers to develop a deep empathy for the challenges of small businesses, and document, analyze, and synthesize their AP Approval needs into a compelling product vision
- Work hand in hand with a designer to explore, critique, and test designs with real customers to translate customer insights into simple, effective UX
- Be the leader of our product, and voice of the customer within your scrum team, so everyone knows what they’re building and why
- Ensure the team's always working on the most important things, knows what's next, and knows when they're done — this means planning sprints, and writing user stories
- Make the thousands of critical decisions, and shoulder the dirty work — reviewing legal contracts, copy, support issues, etc. — that helps your team charge forward without stall
- Collaborate with partners in marketing, support, and beyond (think C-Suite) to develop and deliver on our product life cycle
- Understand the unit economics of our business, know which one you’re trying to impact, and how to know if you’re successful
- Be responsible for your results and report out to partners and execs on the engagement of products launched in-market
- Be the team's primary communicator and presenter, ensuring the rest of the org, executives, and other stakeholders are made aware of all major decisions and their implications
- Bring a strategic lens to your roadmap, staying in tune with the market and competition and defining the differentiated products that will defend BILL’s position as market leader in SMB bill automation
We’d love to chat if:
- You’re strategic; you have the ability to think “big picture” and develop a compelling vision for your product
- You’re customer-centric, able to develop a deep understanding of the customer and their challenges. Experience with small and mid-market businesses.
- You're a passionate leader and an excellent communicator, able to communicate and motivate effectively with all layers of the organization
- You’re driven by impact and business results. Able to translate a customer problem into a market opportunity and a business case
- You’re technically savvy and comfortable working with a team of developers to understand the challenges and trade offs that come with building your product so that you are able to agree on the best approach.
- You’re not a project manager, but you’re not afraid to act like one — be willing to roll up your sleeves to help your team get things done. You build and sustain relationships with key stakeholders
- Shown ability to develop compelling go-to-market strategies across multiple channels, and measure your impact
- Have a history of bringing major features to market fast, and iterating based on customer feedback (familiarity with “lean” methodologies)
- Have 12+ years experience in product management and a track record of growing the business through a combination of product innovation and enhancements; fintech experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid employee health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
This role is based in California.
The estimated base salary range for this role is noted below for our office location in San Jose, CA. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in BILL’s bonus and equity plan. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants
Something looks off?