Staff Software Engineer - Payments
Building incomparably simple financial operations solutions supporting the heartbeat of our communities and nearly half of the U.S. GDP --- small and mid sized businesses.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
This position is based in San Jose, CA. We support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
Looking for a dynamic and rewarding career in the payments industry? Join the Payments Team at BDC, a team that drives revenue and acts as the backbone of the company, processing over $140B+ (and growing) in payments annually through various methods and revenue streams. Our team values work-life balance, career growth, innovation, and problem-solving that positively impacts SMBs' lives all over the world. We strive to always encourage our team members to think critically, solve complex problems, and continuously develop their skills. If you're up for new challenges, thrive in innovative and fast-paced environments, value team culture, and have a passion for making an impact, and driving revenue, BILL's Payments team is the place to be!
We’d love to chat if you have:
- Minimum 8 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 3 years experience in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or a related discipline; or equivalent work experience will be considered
- Expert level programming knowledge in Java, including writing testable code
- Clear understanding of SDLC and ability to write efficient unit test cases and automation test scripts to abide by Full Cycle Engineering
- Experience working with and possessing knowledge of merge methodologies using version control systems like GitLab, BitBucket etc
- Experienced in database technologies : Oracle, RDS, DynamoDB
- Expert in SOAP/REST communication, Usage of test harnesses, giving technical direction to fellow engineers and ability to write extensive architecture and design documents
- Excellent troubleshooting and issue resolution skills. Quickly isolates/debugs issues even in areas outside of one's own domain.
- Expert level knowledge of distributed system design, algorithms, logging framework, scaling and UML principles
- Experienced working on large scale, complex applications
- Experience in designing and building scalable cloud-native applications that are deployed in one or more public cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience in the payments industry or building payment applications
- Test Automation framework experience with Cypress.io, TestRail, Selenium, Jenkins
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
This role is based in California.
The estimated base salary range for this role is noted below for our office location in San Jose, CA. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in BILL’s bonus and equity plan. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants
Something looks off?