Director of Engineering - API/Developer Platform
Do the best work of your career, helping businesses change the way they manage finances.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
This position can based in San Jose, Draper or Houston. We support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
The Director API/Developer Platform, will lead a team that is responsible for enabling various target developer segments (e.g., ISVs, mid market companies, banks, developer community) aimed at building the BILL API / developer platform.
- ISV that are incorporating BILL as-a-service to grow their business and revenue
- Mid Market Companies and Wealth Management firms that are developing custom integrations through the Bill.com Platform and leveraging Bill.com as a payments platform.
- Strategic bank partners that are enabling their mid-market customers to develop custom integrations through the Bill.com Connect Platform.
We will expand on these platform initiatives by providing developer technical support, developer relations and evangelism, and custom integrations as part of sales and enablement. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience leading these functions for a developer platform for a cloud-based offering.
In this role you will
- Build a robust developer platform aimed at accelerating and scaling up BILL’s business
- Work closely with Product to define our API Strategy
- Build a team that includes engineers, developer support, sales engineers, tech writers and professional services. Hiring top talent will be a key requirement for this role.
- Coach and mentor individuals, many of whom will be early in their career.
- Work cross-functionally with senior leaders and executives from Product, Sales, Customer Support, Engineering and Talent Acquisition.
- Present externally at developer conferences and be an ambassador for Bill.
- Organize hackathons that highlight the Bill platform in order to incubate new third-party solutions.
We’d love to chat if you have:
- 10+ years in a management role, leading developer programs
- 5+ years in technical roles with developer platforms
- 5+ years experience launching and scaling an API platform end to end at scale
- MS in Computer Science degree or equivalent
- Hands-on experience developing and delivering custom integrations
- Experience working directly with sales teams and executives from strategic partners
- Exceptional client management and communications skills
- Track record of delivering projects/deliverables in a timely fashion
- Ability to deliver results in a fast-paced, lean and collaborative environment.
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid employee health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
This role is based in California.
The estimated base salary range for this role is noted below for our office location in San Jose, CA. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in BILL’s bonus and equity plan. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants
Something looks off?