Senior Software Engineer - Elixir
Do the best work of your career building all new products that will make a difference for small and mid-size businesses.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
This position is based at San Jose. We support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
You're about to apply for the most enriching job of your career (so far) under a manager who deeply cares about your growth and well-being. You are a software engineer who speaks the languages of product and design with eloquence and finesse. You love teamwork and lifting up your collaborators, and you work with the trust that they will all reciprocate with the same. You assume the best intentions from everyone you work with, and you always come in with the best intentions yourself. Understanding that intentions don't always get reflected in actions, you never hesitate to wade through a little conflict to get to the sweet resolution of any challenges that arise.
The team you're applying for is a tight-knit group of collaborators. Their work environment is one of high trust and high achievement. We pace our work appropriately, test extensively, and maintain a reputation of never missing. It's a source of great pride.
You're applying to work on the team that sits at the intersection of and handles transaction processing for our Divvy Payment Services product. We are proud of our industry-leading card swipe response time, our rock-solid infrastructure, and our track record of leadership within the company. Your whole team will work to make sure you feel truly welcomed and are a critical part of our operations. You'll be supported by one of the best QA Automation engineers in the industry and an absolutely outstanding and technically-minded Customer Success Manager.
If you're a committed technologist and communicator who meets most of the following points, we hope you'll reach out. We have a flexible environment, value autonomy, and are able to make accommodations for the right candidate.
We’d love to chat if you have:
- Professional development experience in Elixir or another functional language
- Complete confidence in planning, writing, testing, shipping, and maintaining high-quality and resilient code
- Strong understanding of engineering, product, and design interoperation and communication
- Test-driven development mindset and pride in code resilience
- Collaborative, high-trust approach to team building and collaboration
- Experience with HTML, CSS, and server-side JS framework
- Proficiency with monitoring, alerting, and reporting tools
- Cross-team collaboration with extreme ownership mindset
We’ll be even more stoked if you have:
- Experience shipping performant and resilient React code
- Familiarity with Phoenix framework and/or Ecto toolkit
- DataDog and Splunk setup, monitoring, and alerting experience
- Advanced Splunk querying skills
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid employee health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
This role is based in California.
The estimated base salary range for this role is noted below for our office location in San Jose, CA. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in BILL’s bonus and equity plan. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants
Something looks off?