Senior Software Engineer (Backend) - Sync
Being a Champion for SMBs is good for business. And a career defining opportunity for you
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
This position is based at Houston. We support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
BILL is looking for a Sr. Software Engineer to build and scale our accounting software sync solutions. If you are passionate about building great products, excited about solving real-world customer issues, enjoy mentoring junior engineers, and are interested in working on challenging problems on a daily basis, this is the job for you!
This individual will be a member of the Sync team and will be responsible for designing and implementing scalable products for the BILL business payment network. Proven experience in leading, scoping, designing and implementing end-to-end software solutions is a must.
The Sync team is responsible for building, maintaining, enhancing, and scaling deep two-way synchronization solutions between BILL payment platform/network and all major accounting software products used by its customers. Used by nearly 90% of our paying Small Business customers, sync is one of the core features that allows our customers to keep their bills, payments and other data in sync with their accounting systems. The sync team is working on moonshot goals to improve our user experience by 10x and building new microservices in AWS to provide new features for customers to keep their data in sync with a variety of third party systems.
We’d love to chat if you have:
- BS/MS in Computer Science, or closely related field
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Solid understanding of CS fundamentals - Data Structures, Algorithms, Computer Networking and Databases
- Proven ability to take the product through all stages of development from concept to launch
- Experience with industry standard best practices in software development including code reviews, unit testing, automation testing and CI/CD
- Experience with REST API development
- Expert-level knowledge of Java, SQL and NoSQL databases
- Expertise in making step-function improvements in performance and scale of platforms
- Business acumen - able to leverage the platform to solve business problems
- Passion for great products and building great customer experiences
Nice to Have:
- Expertise with using AWS services to build microservices
- Familiar with frontend development with React and Angular
- Experience with dev tools like Splunk, Datadog, Mixpanel, LaunchDarkly etc.
- Accounting domain knowledge (knows the basics of double-entry accounting, General Ledger, AP/AR)
- Knowledge and experience in one of - accounting OR ERP OR FinTech (back-end, e.g., Payments)
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants
Something looks off?