Director, Product Design
Posted on Tuesday, March 7, 2023
Dave is one of the leading US neobanks and a pioneer in financial services, using disruptive technology to provide best in class banking services to millions of members at a fraction of the cost compared to incumbents. The anchor of our banking value proposition, ExtraCash, provides up to $500 of short term, interest free advances to members within minutes of joining. The speed to value, access and pricing of ExtraCash compared to traditional overdraft sets us apart from incumbents and is a key to our strategy to efficiently acquire transacting Dave debit card members.
The Director of Design at Dave is a strategic leader responsible for driving the design vision and direction for the company. This role will lead and manage a team of designers, working closely with cross-functional teams to create innovative and engaging experiences for our users. The Director of Design will be responsible for defining and implementing our design vision, ensuring that our products are intuitive, user-centered, and aesthetically appealing.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and communicate a clear design strategy and vision that aligns with the company's strategic goals and OKRs. This should include measurable outcomes and goals that can be used to evaluate the success of the design function.
- Prioritize building, developing, and mentoring the team to ensure we have the roles and skill set to support company goals, with a commitment to inclusivity, diversity, and employee engagement.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product, engineering, and marketing, to ensure that design is integrated into the product development process.
- Define and implement the company's design vision, incorporating user-centered design principles and the latest trends and best practices in UX and Product Design.
- Ensure an efficient and effective design process, delivering high-quality work that meets user needs and expectations.
- Incorporate empathy and user understanding into the design process, creating intuitive, engaging, and aesthetically appealing products.
- Inspire and elevate the level of craft within the design team, promoting a passion for design excellence and a commitment to delivering high-quality work.
What You'll Need:
- 10+ years of design experience with a strong track record in leading teams and delivering high-quality design work
- Previous direct experience in people management and professional development; demonstrated ability to build, manage, develop, and motivate a team; preferably has led a team of managers
- Proven experience leading the design vision and direction for a company or product.
- Strong experience in user-centered design, with a deep understanding of user needs and behaviors.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate a team.
- Strong understanding of design systems and experience working within a consistent and coherent design system.
- Strong familiarity with the software development process, including experience collaborating with engineers and understanding technical constraints and limitations in the implementation of design work.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with the ability to find creative solutions to complex design challenges.
Don’t let imposter syndrome get in your way of an incredible opportunity. We’re looking for people who can help us achieve our mission and vision, not just check off the boxes. If you’re excited about this role, we encourage you to apply. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles.
Why you’ll love working here:
At Dave, our people are just as important as our product. Our culture is a reflection of our values that guide who we are, how we work, and what we aspire to be. Daves are member centric, helpful, transparent, persistent, and better together. We strive to create an environment where all Daves feel valued, heard, and empowered to do their best work. As a virtual first company, team members can live and work anywhere in the United States, with the exception of Hawaii.
A few of our benefits & perks:
• Opportunity to tackle tough challenges, learn and grow from fellow top talent, and help millions of people reach their personal financial goals
• Flexible hours and virtual first work culture with a home office stipend
• Premium Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance plans
• Generous paid parental and caregiver leave
• 401(k) savings plan with matching contributions
• Financial advisor and financial wellness support
• Flexible PTO and generous company holidays, including Juneteenth and Winter Break
• All-company in-person events once or twice a year and virtual events throughout to connect with your team members and leadership team
Dave, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is dedicated to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants and do not discriminate on any basis protected by federal, state, or local law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.
See more open positions at Dave
Something looks off?