Professional Liability Lead
Professional Liability Lead
Counterpart believes in small businesses and is dedicated to helping them do more with less risk. By pairing leading insurance experts with cutting-edge technology, Counterpart empowers small business owners to grow with confidence. Exceptional underwriters, trusted insurance brokers, and prominent insurance carriers come together on the Counterpart platform to support small businesses by providing AI-driven management and professional liability underwriting and claims services. That’s where you come in.
As Professional Liability Lead at Counterpart you will lead a variety of strategic, analytical, and operational projects to enhance carrier and broker relationships, build insurance operations, and launch new insurance products. You will partner with senior leaders, external carrier partners, and cross functional teams to drive and support our Professional Liability growth efforts while managing and strengthening our most important relationships. You will own the success or our professional liability product line..
Accordingly, we are looking for a highly talented and organized individual who thrives in a fast-paced, high growth environment to join our team. Candidates should have excelled at an (re)insurance broker or carrier, or related field; or demonstrated a keen interest in risk management industries. We are looking for a proactive individual who takes ownership over initiatives and drives execution with limited oversight.
- Work cross functionally with product, engineering, data, and insurance teams to expand our professional liability products and appetite
- Help shape our go-to-market strategy (messaging, training, materials, etc.) with brokers and other stakeholders that are involved in the management liability insurance purchase funnel.
- Enlist brokers to become professional liability producers and promote our products
- Assist with the creation of policy forms, endorsements, and rating models on new and existing professional liability products
- Analyze portfolio performance & market conditions to continually iterate on existing products
- Manage and lead day-to-day interactions with carrier and broker partners on variety of product, growth, and compliance areas
- Guide carrier audits, respond to ad hoc requests, and perform related analysis
- Synthesize data to identify and disseminate KPIs and trends that translate into actionable insights
- Effectively collaborate and communicate analyses, results, and insights with internal and external teams
- Present product feedback and market insights from a network of trusted brokers (wholesale & retail) and other stakeholders (claims experts, attorneys, underwriters).
- Represent Counterpart at a variety of industry events and speaking engagements.
- Be a stakeholder in prioritizing our product roadmap.
- Roll up your sleeves with the underwriting team as necessary to hit our ambitious growth goals.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of work experience in professional liability and/or management liability
- Demonstrated problem solving and project management abilities combined with impeccable business judgment. Experience executing strategic and operational initiatives
- Highly organized and systemic approach to identifying and solving problems
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to formulate and articulate contractual, technical, financial, and value points with partners and internal Coalition teams
- Self-directed and self-motivated; excellent communicator and collaborator
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH:
- Tanner Hackett, CEO & Founder: Having founded two other major startups, including Button and Lazada, Tanner now spends his time focused on mental health through his philanthropy, Openminded.org, in addition to reading, surfing, yoga, and enjoying the outdoors.
- Chris Shafer, Chief of Staff: Chris is a published scientific author, having studied the neural correlates of gratitude at the lauded Brain and Creativity Institute. He has since helped to launch numerous businesses in which he held a variety of critical roles from product management to business operations to strategic partnerships. Chris received his bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences from the University of Southern California.
- Mike Levins, Head of Insurance: Mike previously was the Head of Broker Relations and US MGA Operations at Hiscox. Mike oversaw the Midwest region with ~20 underwriters offering 13 different product lines, the primary lines being management liability, professional liability, and cyber/technology. His extensive insurance career has afforded Mike strong relationships across hundreds of retail and wholesale brokers. Mike received his BS from Marquette University and MBA from Benedictine University.
- Tobias Schuler, Head of Data Analytics: After becoming a Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society & working as a consultant actuary at EY for several years, Tobias went on to drive the actuarial data & systems teams at QBE. He further leveraged his deep insurance & technical expertise at Munich Re Digital Partners in North America, where he headed data & analytics & oversaw the data infrastructure behind some of their largest programs.
- Fernando Guayasamin, Director of Engineering: Fernando is a highly-skilled software engineer with over 18 years of lead experience in the field, with a broad background including platform engineering, data strategy, enterprise systems, mobile application development and embedded software development.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unlimited Vacation: We offer flexible time off, allowing you to take time when you need it.
- Work from Anywhere: Counterpart is a fully distributed company, meaning there is no office. We allow employees to work from wherever they do their best work, and invite the team to meet in person a couple times per year.
- Stock Options
- Health, Dental, and Vision Coverage
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Parental Leave
- Home Office Allowance: to set up your home office with the necessary equipment and accessories.
- Book stipend
- Professional Development Reimbursement
- No working birthdays: Take your birthday off, giving you the opportunity to relax, enjoy your special day, and spend time with loved ones.
- Charitable Contribution Matching
- Conjoin Expectations - it is the cornerstone of autonomy. Ensure you are aware of what is expected of you and clearly articulate what you expect of others.
- Speak Boldly & Honestly - the only failure is not learning from mistakes. Don’t cheat yourself and your colleagues of the feedback needed when expectations aren’t being met.
- Be Entrepreneurial - control your own destiny. Embrace action over perfection while navigating any obstacles that stand in the way of your ultimate goal.
- Practice Omotenashi (“selfless hospitality”) - trust will follow. Consider every interaction with internal and external partners an opportunity to develop trust by going above and beyond what is expected.
- Hold Nothing As Sacred - create routines but modify them routinely. Take the time to reflect on where the business is today, where it needs to go, and what you have to change in order to get there.
- Prioritize Wellness - some things should never be sacrificed. We create an environment that stretches everyone to grow and improve, which is fulfilling, but is only one part of a meaningful life.
We are committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.