Senior Counsel, Real Estate
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. Founded in 2012, we’re revolutionizing the real estate industry with our end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to seller and buyer clients.
Senior Counsel, Real Estate
Please note this is a 100% onsite position in our Chicago office.
At Compass, we envision a world where the experience of selling or buying a home is simple and pleasant for everyone. Founded in 2012, Compass provides an end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to their seller and buyer clients, all in service of our mission to help everyone find their place in the world.
As a Senior Counsel at Compass, you work on exciting matters that require proactive legal guidance. You're part of a group of talented in-house lawyers and the projects you work on challenge you to think creatively and constructively. You are energetic and collaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of Compass’s business and work with employees and agents across the company. Your contributions will be impactful, value driven, and you will play an instrumental role on the Compass Legal Team.
At Compass You Will:
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of commercial leasing agreements, including lease amendments, subleases, extensions, estoppel certificates, guarantees, subordination non-disturbance and attornment agreements, work letters and construction contracts. Advise and counsel legal team members and internal stakeholders on real estate matters relevant to a variety of complex commercial initiatives such as financial transactions and M&A.
- Work closely with internal business clients to support and maintain our corporate real estate portfolio throughout the United States.
- Identify and analyze risk and legal issues, and communicate sound, understandable legal and business recommendations to various key stakeholders on matters involving our corporate real estate portfolio.
- Supervise and lead real estate attorneys and other legal professionals.
- Engage, direct, and manage outside counsel when appropriate including budgeting, review and approval of outside counsel expenses
What We Look For:
- Strong academic credentials including a JD and membership in good standing in at least one state bar (NY or CA bar a plus)
- 6+ years of commercial real estate experience (prior in-house experience strongly preferred as is tenant-side representation)
- Proven ability to manage a team in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with an ability to distill complex legal issues and provide sound, clear legal advice to senior leaders and others
- A team player with low ego who can effectively work with and manage other attorneys and legal professionals
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and an ability to clearly and simply explain complex ideas
- A willingness to learn new areas of law, acquire new skills, and take on additional and/or new responsibilities within the team on an “as-needed” basis
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
Perks that You Need to Know About:
Participation in our incentive programs (which may include where eligible cash, equity, or commissions). Plus paid vacation, holidays, sick time, parental leave, marriage leave, and recharge leave; medical, tele-health, dental and vision benefits; 401(k) plan; flexible spending accounts (FSAs); commuter program; life and disability insurance; Maven (a support system for new parents); Carrot (fertility benefits); UrbanSitter (caregiver referral network); Employee Assistance Program; and pet insurance.