Lead Paralegal, eDiscovery
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. Founded in 2012, we’re revolutionizing the real estate industry with our end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to seller and buyer clients.
As Lead Paralegal, eDiscovery at Compass, you will lead Compass’s e-discovery efforts and be an integral part of the Legal Team. You will also work collaboratively with other Compass teams (Real Estate, Finance, People & Culture, etc.) to assist with subpoenas, ongoing audits, litigation matters and compliance initiatives. You will be part of a talented group of in-house lawyers and other legal professionals and the projects you work on challenge you to think creatively and constructively. You are energetic and collaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence Compass’s legal operations and work with systems, employees, and customers across the company. Your contributions will be impactful, value driven, and you will play an instrumental role on the Compass Legal Team.
Note that this is a 100% in-office role.
At Compass You Will:
- Project manage Compass’s e-discovery software, including Logikcull, Relativity, and Google Vault.
- Manage vendor relationships with Compass’s e-discovery service providers.
- Manage intake of all subpoenas, and perform comprehensive research of all relevant resources in order to comply with subpoena requests.
- Coordinate with various departments within Compas to obtain all relevant and responsive documentation.
- Review and draft legal hold notices where applicable.
- Work collaboratively with other Compass teams to facilitate document retrieval and production, coordinating with internal and external counsel and consultants.
- Collect, cull and prepare documents for counsel (internal and external) review and production.
- Assemble and respond to subpoenas with appropriate documentation in a timely manner under attorney supervision.
- Work collaboratively with Legal Team members to build out processes to improve legal workflows surrounding electronic documents and data.
- Participate in the development of department policies and/or procedures and assist with internal projects as assigned.
- Maintain and update various reporting processes including corporate insurance, budgeting and legal invoices and other case management tools.
- Help with the development and implementation of processes for efficient and streamlined operations, including work flow between the Legal Team and other teams at Compass.
- Exercise judgment within defined procedures to determine appropriate action, including, but not limited to, identifying issues that require the input of other Legal Team members and taking steps to escalate these matters appropriately.
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- CEDS or equivalent certification.
- Minimum 5+ years of e-discovery support experience at a law firm or in-house legal department, including 2+ years as a project manager for large e-discovery matters.
- Proven track record in managing a Relativity database without external or vendor assistance.
- Ability to review and organize numerous documents in complex legal matters.
- Proactive, problem-solving attitude and strong work ethic without extensive supervision.
- Proven ability to effectively and efficiently manage voluminous matters and projects under time-sensitive deadlines.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills with an acute ability to listen attentively and communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization.
- Proficiency and high aptitude with computer skills, such as MacOS, MS Office, Google Workplace, and Adobe Acrobat
- Strong expertise in managing projects in electronic discovery platforms such as Relativity, Logikcull, and Google Vault.
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
The base pay range for this position is $78,300-$117,400 annually; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Bonuses and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of benefits. Base pay is based on market location. Minimum wage for the position will always be met.
Perks that You Need to Know About:
Participation in our incentive programs (which may include where eligible cash, equity, or commissions). Plus paid vacation, holidays, sick time, parental leave, marriage leave, and recharge leave; medical, tele-health, dental and vision benefits; 401(k) plan; flexible spending accounts (FSAs); commuter program; life and disability insurance; Maven (a support system for new parents); Carrot (fertility benefits); UrbanSitter (caregiver referral network); Employee Assistance Program; and pet insurance.