Sr. Compliance Associate
Collective is on a mission to redefine the way businesses-of-one work. Collective’s technology and team of trusted advisors enables our members to achieve financial independence by taking care of everything from business incorporation to accounting, bookkeeping, tax services and access to a thriving community, all in one integrated platform. We believe in empowering self-employed people to enjoy the same tax savings that big companies get.
Featured in Forbes, Business Insider, Yahoo, Bloomberg, Financial Times, Techcrunch and more. We’re backed by General Catalyst, Sound Ventures (Ashton Kutcher and Guy Oseary), QED Investors, Google’s Gradient Ventures, Expa and prominent investors who have financed and built iconic companies like YouTube, Substack, Twitch, Box, Hims, Instacart, Lyft, and more.
About the Role:
We are seeking an experienced and detail-oriented Senior Compliance Associate to lead our compliance efforts and ensure adherence to tax laws and regulations. In this role, you will be responsible for overseeing the compliance associates, performing document audits, reviewing tax returns, providing member communications, and contributing to external-facing content. The Senior Compliance Associate will also play a pivotal role in researching tax regulations, drafting policies, and crafting responses to member tax notices and inquiries.
- Report directly to the Head of Tax Compliance
- Lead and oversee a team of compliance associates, providing guidance, mentorship, and initial reviews of their work.
- Conduct thorough audits of documents and member information to ensure completeness and compliance with tax laws and regulations.
- Perform quality control by meticulously reviewing individual tax returns, S corporation tax returns, and reasonable compensation calculations.
- Draft clear and concise member communications and external-facing articles related to tax compliance updates and educational content.
- Conduct initial reviews of external-facing content to ensure accuracy, compliance, and alignment with company standards.
- Research federal and state tax laws and regulations to maintain up-to-date knowledge and identify potential compliance issues.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to draft and review company policies, ensuring they align with current tax regulations.
- Investigate the cause of member tax notices and draft initial responses to the IRS and state taxing authorities, providing accurate and timely solutions.
- Work collaboratively with the compliance team to ensure all compliance requirements are met within designated deadlines.
- Maintain accurate records of compliance-related activities and communications.
- Monitor and implement changes in tax laws and regulations that impact the company's compliance practices.
- Oversee the training and development of compliance associates, ensuring their skills and knowledge align with company goals.
- Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement within the compliance team.
What we want you to bring:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field. CPA certification is a strong advantage.
- Substantial experience in tax compliance, auditing, and quality control procedures.
- Strong understanding of federal and state tax laws and regulations, particularly related to individual and S corporation taxation.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to convey complex tax concepts clearly.
- Proven ability to lead and mentor a team, providing guidance and oversight.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized, capable of managing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Proficient in conducting in-depth research using tax resources and staying updated on regulatory changes.
- Experience in drafting policies, member communications, and external-facing content.
- Skilled in reviewing and drafting responses to IRS and state tax notices.
- Flexibility to work in US Pacific Standard Time (PST) for team collaboration and member interactions.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and tax preparation software.
What we offer in return:
Compensation Range: $117,000-$143,000 USD annual base salary.
The salary ranges for the roles are posted for your convenience and review. Please understand that if an offer is presented, the offer compensation package will be based on the relevant position related skills a candidate demonstrates during our formal interview process.
- Opportunity to lead a team dedicated to ensuring compliance and member satisfaction.
- Professional growth opportunities to further develop your expertise in tax compliance.
- A remote first environment.
- A diverse and collaborative team culture.
- Stock options package.
- 14 company holidays + unlimited PTO.
- Employer paid Health, Vision and Dental Insurance.
- 100% coverage for employees
- 75% coverage for dependents
- PC or Mac laptop + $750 Home office stipend.
- Paid parental leave.
- Team events and virtual gatherings.
- $600 wellness bonus.
- Professional development courses available for CPAs and Enrolled Agents.
- Out of State Medical Care Travel Stipend
If you are an accomplished tax compliance professional with leadership experience and a commitment to accuracy and regulatory adherence, we invite you to apply for this senior role. Join our team in making a meaningful impact on our members' financial well-being while ensuring compliance with tax laws and regulations.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At Collective, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, our customers, and our community. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. If you’re good at what you do, come as you are. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. Collective is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.