Senior Engineering Manager
Coalition is the world's first Active Insurance provider designed to help prevent digital risk before it strikes. Founded in 2017, Coalition combines broad insurance coverage with a digital risk assessment and continuous security monitoring to help organizations protect themselves in today’s hyper-connected world.
Coalition offers its Active Insurance products in the U.S., U.K., and Canada through relationships with leading global insurers including Allianz, Arch Insurance, Lloyd’s of London, Swiss Re and Zurich, as well as cyber capacity through its own carrier, Coalition Insurance Company. Coalition's Active Risk Platform provides automated security alerts, threat intelligence, expert guidance, and cybersecurity tools to help businesses worldwide remain resilient against cyber attacks.
Coalition comprises a team of cybersecurity and technology experts, as well as experienced insurance professionals, who have come together to build a world-class organization with a massive technological advantage. Our secret sauce is bringing these expertise together to create a world-class organization with one mission: to protect the unprotected as the world digitizes. Today, Coalition is one of the world’s largest commercial insurtechs serving hundreds of thousands of customers worldwide.
Since its founding, Coalition has raised $755 million in equity funding, including $250 million in June 2022, affirming its ability to deliver profitable growth and cementing its position as a long-term business with a clear competitive advantage.
Coalition’s exceptional growth stems from its ability to address real-world problems for organizations of all sizes, and by remaining true to our founding values of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, authenticity and inclusion. We are proud to have been named among Inc.’s Best Workplaces in 2021 and 2023, and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2022.
About the Role
- Lead and coordinate engineering activities to successfully deliver product features on time while designing for quality and scalability
- Provide technical expertise and software engineering guidance to automate processes and improve team efficiency
- Provide management and mentorship to engineers in order to seek out identification of skill gaps and growth needs
- Balance managing technical debt with new feature development and business priorities
- Ensure full software lifecycle instrumentation from requirement ideation to software development to deployment
- Collaborate with Product and Business staff to balance resources and project schedules
- Maintain transparent communication across all levels of the organization
- Actively participate in all phases of growing the engineering organization through recruiting, team building, etc
- Report to a senior engineering leader
Skills and Qualifications
- 7+ years overall software engineering experience with 4+ years experience managing a team of at least 5 people
- Effective in leading and mentoring staff with various technical backgrounds and expertise
- Understanding of software development processes with the experience to apply the best type of engineering methodology to fit a situation or team dynamic
- Experience building high volume distributed systems in a cloud environment
- Proven track record of successfully delivering software and managing projects across multiple teams
- Sufficient level of technical background to objectively evaluate complex project risks and issues
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing priorities
- Ability to have meticulous attention to requirements while also maintaining awareness of the overall business objectives
- Experience building API-first CRUD applications using Python, React, SQL
- Expert knowledge of at least one area of computer science/engineering
- Excellent oral and written communications skills at all levels
- Prior experience with insurance technologies
- Financial systems, especially Netsuite
- In-depth knowledge of AWS infrastructure, CI/CD, and the Atlassian tool suite
- Experience working in the InfoSec, Tech and Cybersecurity markets
- Experience working with data at scale, data science/analytics, and data collection techniques
- Familiar with building service oriented architectures and distributed systems
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Annual home office stipend and WeWork access
- Mental & physical health wellness programs (One Medical, Headspace, Gympass, and more)!
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
To learn more, check out our featured press releases:
- Coalition Closes $250 Million in Series F Funding, Valuing the Cyber Insurance Provider at $5 Billion
- Coalition Named to Fast Company’s Annual List of of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022
- Coalition Launches Active Insurance, Reaches $650M Run Rate GWP
- Coalition launches tech-powered executive risks products with personalized risk assessment for all US small-businesses