Senior Data Scientist, Operations
Coalition is the world's first Active Insurance provider designed to help prevent digital risk before it strikes. Founded in 2017, Coalition combines broad insurance coverage with a digital risk assessment and continuous security monitoring to help organizations protect themselves in today’s hyper-connected world.
Coalition offers its Active Insurance products in the U.S., U.K., and Canada through relationships with leading global insurers including Allianz, Arch Insurance, Lloyd’s of London, Swiss Re and Zurich, as well as cyber capacity through its own carrier, Coalition Insurance Company. Coalition's Active Risk Platform provides automated security alerts, threat intelligence, expert guidance, and cybersecurity tools to help businesses worldwide remain resilient against cyber attacks.
Coalition comprises a team of cybersecurity and technology experts, as well as experienced insurance professionals, who have come together to build a world-class organization with a massive technological advantage. Our secret sauce is bringing these expertise together to create a world-class organization with one mission: to protect the unprotected as the world digitizes. Today, Coalition is one of the world’s largest commercial insurtechs serving hundreds of thousands of customers worldwide.
Since its founding, Coalition has raised $755 million in equity funding, including $250 million in June 2022, affirming its ability to deliver profitable growth and cementing its position as a long-term business with a clear competitive advantage.
Coalition’s exceptional growth stems from its ability to address real-world problems for organizations of all sizes, and by remaining true to our founding values of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, authenticity and inclusion. We are proud to have been named among Inc.’s Best Workplaces in 2021 and 2023, and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2022.
About the Role
As a Senior Data Scientist, Operations at Coalition you will be responsible for helping improve efficiency and drive process improvement within the organization by reviewing company procedures, collecting data, and applying analytical/ statistical techniques to streamline operations and reduce wasted time and resources. You will work closely with the business stakeholders to understand current processes, limitations (both system and legal/compliance), and opportunities to improve workflows. You will be expected to evangelize operational improvements within the business units and monitor/report to senior leadership on the impact from the changes. You will thrive on identifying data-backed opportunities to grow our revenue and reduce our costs.
This is a remote position that can be based anywhere in the United States or Canada.
- Lead cross-functional projects using analytical and statistical techniques to discover insights that will guide strategic operational decisions and uncover optimization opportunities
- Collaborate with the sales team to improve cost-effectiveness across all business units.
- Review company policies and business processes, using statistical techniques to improve decision-making and develop new policies and procedures to reduce operational inefficiencies
- Lead the design and delivery of data models, reporting systems, data automation systems, dashboards and performance metrics that support key business operational decisions
- Enhance end-to-end insurance workflow and improve cross-departmental engagements
- Train employees to use new systems or follow new processes
- Mentor junior employees
Skills and Qualifications
- A Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Economics, Mathematics or related technical field
- 5+ years of experience in related analytical, data science or consulting background
- Experience with sales & servicing tools like Salesforce, Zendesk, Hubspot, Zoho etc
- Expert SQL proficiency with proven competencies in designing well-architected data models, optimizing for query performance, and clearly documenting code
- Understanding of and experience with experimental design, statistical methods and machine learning
- Work in Tableau, Looker, or similar visualization / business intelligence platform
- Strong programming skills in Python, R, or similar programming language
- Strong communication skills and ability to convey complex topics to non-technical audiences
- Passion, drive, and a deep sense of responsibility. We build the systems that keep us and our customers safe!
- Experience in insurance, insurtech and fintech industries
- Experience with DBT, Airflow or similar analytics workflow tools is a big plus
- Experience with operational tools and business systems such as Amplitude, Google Analytics, Marketo, Salesforce, Segment, or Zuora a plus
- Experience using data science tools like scikit-learn, pandas, numpy, XGBoost, TensorFlow
- Exposure to causal inference and other advanced statistical methods
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Annual home office stipend and WeWork access
- Mental & physical health wellness programs (One Medical, Headspace, Gympass, and more)!
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
To learn more, check out our featured press releases:
- Coalition Closes $250 Million in Series F Funding, Valuing the Cyber Insurance Provider at $5 Billion
- Coalition Named to Fast Company’s Annual List of of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022
- Coalition Launches Active Insurance, Reaches $650M Run Rate GWP
- Coalition launches tech-powered executive risks products with personalized risk assessment for all US small-businesses