Senior Backend Engineer- Customer Security
Coalition is the world's first Active Insurance provider designed to help prevent digital risk before it strikes. Founded in 2017, Coalition combines broad insurance coverage with a digital risk assessment and continuous security monitoring to help organizations protect themselves in today’s hyper-connected world.
Coalition offers its Active Insurance products in the U.S., U.K., and Canada through relationships with leading global insurers including Allianz, Arch Insurance, Lloyd’s of London, Swiss Re and Zurich, as well as cyber capacity through its own carrier, Coalition Insurance Company. Coalition's Active Risk Platform provides automated security alerts, threat intelligence, expert guidance, and cybersecurity tools to help businesses worldwide remain resilient against cyber attacks.
Coalition comprises a team of cybersecurity and technology experts, as well as experienced insurance professionals, who have come together to build a world-class organization with a massive technological advantage. Our secret sauce is bringing these expertise together to create a world-class organization with one mission: to protect the unprotected as the world digitizes. Today, Coalition is one of the world’s largest commercial insurtechs serving hundreds of thousands of customers worldwide.
Since its founding, Coalition has raised $755 million in equity funding, including $250 million in June 2022, affirming its ability to deliver profitable growth and cementing its position as a long-term business with a clear competitive advantage.
Coalition’s exceptional growth stems from its ability to address real-world problems for organizations of all sizes, and by remaining true to our founding values of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, authenticity and inclusion. We are proud to have been named among Inc.’s Best Workplaces in 2021 and 2023, and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2022.
About the Role
As a Senior Backend Engineer in the Customer Security organization, you will work across multiple software development projects and primarily focus on backend development for Coalition’s flagship Attack Surface Management product. Coalition Control is used by tens of thousands of users to monitor their external attack surface, understand how to address emergent security findings and find partner services to improve their security posture. This role requires designing, authoring, testing, deploying, debugging and maintaining backend services running in AWS, ensuring high availability, performance and uptime.
Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic judgments about how to scale and decouple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can handle complexity and some ambiguity with many moving pieces and systems and help the team succeed.
This is a remote position that can be based anywhere in the United States.
- Design, implement, test and maintain backend services, delivering on time and with high quality
- Write back-end integrations with third-party services to aggregate and process data
- Collaborate with product management on definition of new product features
- Through logging, monitoring and alerting, verify the performance and reliability of the services owned by the team
- Perform code reviews for and provide feedback to other engineers on the team
- Mentor more junior engineers on the team
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent training/fellowship/work experience
- 6+ years professional experience developing software
- Experience with relevant AWS services (ECS, S3, SQS/SNS, DynamoDB, etc.)
- Fluent in Python and one or more of its web server frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django, FastAPI)
- Basic Golang with a knowledge of core HTTP REST implementations a plus
- Experience and passion for unit, integration and end-to-end testing
- Strong problem determination skills
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases and data modeling
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Annual home office stipend and WeWork access
- Mental & physical health wellness programs (One Medical, Headspace, Gympass, and more)!
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The US base salary for this position ranges from $125,000/year in our lowest geographic market up to $205,000/year in our highest geographic market. Consistent with applicable laws, an employee's pay within this range is based on a number of factors, which include but are not limited to relevant education, skills, job-related knowledge, qualifications, work experience, credentials, and/or geographic location. Your recruiter can share more on target salary for your location during the interview process. Coalition, Inc. reserves the right to modify this range as needed.
To learn more, check out our featured press releases:
- Coalition Closes $250 Million in Series F Funding, Valuing the Cyber Insurance Provider at $5 Billion
- Coalition Named to Fast Company’s Annual List of of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022
- Coalition Launches Active Insurance, Reaches $650M Run Rate GWP
- Coalition launches tech-powered executive risks products with personalized risk assessment for all US small-businesses