Assistant General Counsel - Privacy and Data Security
Coalition is the world's first Active Insurance provider designed to help prevent digital risk before it strikes. Founded in 2017, Coalition combines broad insurance coverage with a digital risk assessment and continuous security monitoring to help organizations protect themselves in today’s hyper-connected world.
Coalition offers its Active Insurance products in the U.S., U.K., and Canada through relationships with leading global insurers including Allianz, Arch Insurance, Lloyd’s of London, Swiss Re and Zurich, as well as cyber capacity through its own carrier, Coalition Insurance Company. Coalition's Active Risk Platform provides automated security alerts, threat intelligence, expert guidance, and cybersecurity tools to help businesses worldwide remain resilient against cyber attacks.
Coalition comprises a team of cybersecurity and technology experts, as well as experienced insurance professionals, who have come together to build a world-class organization with a massive technological advantage. Our secret sauce is bringing these expertise together to create a world-class organization with one mission: to protect the unprotected as the world digitizes. Today, Coalition is one of the world’s largest commercial insurtechs serving hundreds of thousands of customers worldwide.
Since its founding, Coalition has raised $755 million in equity funding, including $250 million in June 2022, affirming its ability to deliver profitable growth and cementing its position as a long-term business with a clear competitive advantage.
Coalition’s exceptional growth stems from its ability to address real-world problems for organizations of all sizes, and by remaining true to our founding values of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, authenticity and inclusion. We are proud to have been named among Inc.’s Best Workplaces in 2021 and 2023, and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2022.
About the Role
We are seeking a motivated and experienced attorney to join our world class Legal team, to help support the growth of Coalition’s business, which exists at the intersection of the insurance and cybersecurity industries. This individual will be an expert in the legal aspects of data privacy and security, have a strong interest in the use of artificial intelligence (AI) and large language models (LLMs) in the insurance and cybersecurity industries and be willing to work on other unrelated legal matters as needed.
The Assistant General Counsel - Privacy and Data Security will be responsible for supporting Coalition’s business team’s needs, including (but not limited to) providing practical advice to internal business partners on privacy and data security matters, reviewing contracts and other legal documents, supporting regulatory compliance, researching legal matters and updating corporate policies. A successful candidate must have outstanding communication skills, experience managing multiple priorities, a strong sense of collaboration and teamwork, and can anticipate and deliver on the needs of a fast-paced and innovative business. The individual must be adept at working in a remote-first environment.
- Provide legal guidance and support to Coalition team members on privacy, data security, contract and regulatory matters.
- Monitor developments in global data privacy and cyber laws (and related legislation and industry practices). Support operationalization of compliance with regional and local laws such as CCPA/CPRA, the Data Protection Act of 2018, GDPR, the Privacy Act, etc.
- Work with business and security partners to develop and maintain a global data and privacy strategy.
- Analyze and communicate the implications of applicable laws and regulations in the privacy and data security space, as well as implement legal guidance, corporate policies, and compliance processes related thereto.
- Monitor and respond to internal and external legal inquiries, including privacy inquiries.
- Perform federal, state, and other jurisdictional research using legal research tools and public information databases.
- Draft correspondence, contracts, and other legal documents to support Coalition's business.
- Remain current on applicable laws, legal/regulatory trends, and other compliance developments in the privacy and data security space that impact Coalition’s business.
- Negotiate, draft, and review a wide variety of commercial contracts.
- Other duties as required based on changing business needs and/or requirements.
Skills and Qualifications
- JD from an ABA-accredited law school and admission to the state bar in which applicant is domiciled.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience, with at least three years of experience working in a highly regulated space (Insurance or Finance preferred).
- Must possess excellent legal and business judgment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with proven ability to present complex information in a concise, business-friendly manner.
- Knowledge of major data protection laws such as NY Part 500 and relevant privacy laws such as CCPA/CPRA, the Data Protection Act of 2018, GDPR, the Privacy Act, etc. Desire to learn privacy laws in international jurisdictions and those specifically applicable to the insurance industry.
- Interest in becoming an expert in the legal and regulatory implications of AI and LLMs used in Coalition’s business.
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, meet deadlines, and effectively navigate a remote working environment.
- Must have a successful track record in responding effectively to client requests, follow through on projects in a timely manner, and adapt to a fast-based and changing environment.
- Willing to address items outside core responsibilities as needed.
- Strong attention to detail, proof-reading skills, and problem-solving capabilities.
Superior follow-up and organizational skills; and the ability to work as part of a team. Strong negotiating skills in both legal and financial/commercial matters.
- Shows initiative and is willing to take ownership of projects.
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Annual home office stipend and WeWork access
- Mental & physical health wellness programs (One Medical, Headspace, Gympass, and more)!
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- Coalition’s individual pay is determined on several factors, including but not limited to, location, level, skills and experience. The US base salary range for this full-time position is $182,000 - $240,000, and your recruiter can share more on target salary for your location during the interview process.
To learn more, check out our featured press releases:
- Coalition Closes $250 Million in Series F Funding, Valuing the Cyber Insurance Provider at $5 Billion
- Coalition Named to Fast Company’s Annual List of of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022
- Coalition Launches Active Insurance, Reaches $650M Run Rate GWP
- Coalition launches tech-powered executive risks products with personalized risk assessment for all US small-businesses