Principal Backend Engineer - Customer Security
Coalition is the world's first Active Insurance provider designed to help prevent digital risk before it strikes. Founded in 2017, Coalition combines broad insurance coverage with a digital risk assessment and continuous security monitoring to help organizations protect themselves in today’s hyper-connected world.
Coalition offers its Active Insurance products in the U.S., U.K., and Canada through relationships with leading global insurers including Allianz, Arch Insurance, Lloyd’s of London, Swiss Re and Zurich, as well as cyber capacity through its own carrier, Coalition Insurance Company. Coalition's Active Risk Platform provides automated security alerts, threat intelligence, expert guidance, and cybersecurity tools to help businesses worldwide remain resilient against cyber attacks.
Coalition comprises a team of cybersecurity and technology experts, as well as experienced insurance professionals, who have come together to build a world-class organization with a massive technological advantage. Our secret sauce is bringing these expertise together to create a world-class organization with one mission: to protect the unprotected as the world digitizes. Today, Coalition is one of the world’s largest commercial insurtechs serving hundreds of thousands of customers worldwide.
Since its founding, Coalition has raised $755 million in equity funding, including $250 million in June 2022, affirming its ability to deliver profitable growth and cementing its position as a long-term business with a clear competitive advantage.
Coalition’s exceptional growth stems from its ability to address real-world problems for organizations of all sizes, and by remaining true to our founding values of character, humility, responsibility, purpose, authenticity and inclusion. We are proud to have been named among Inc.’s Best Workplaces in 2021 and 2023, and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2022.
About The Role
As a Principal Backend Engineer, you will be working across multiple software development projects that can range from API’s to scraping and ETL workflows. Your primary focus will be the development of server-side logic and integration internally/externally, ensuring high performance and receptiveness across the platform.
Our core platform is written mostly in Python with some services in Java and Go. We prefer to use the right tool for the job and make pragmatic judgements about how to scale and decouple systems as we continue to grow. We’re looking for someone who can navigate a cloud environment (AWS) with many moving pieces and systems to help the team identify how they fit into the broader puzzle.
- Be part of a remote team
- Write REST APIs on the back-end, so that front end engineers can consume them
- Write back-end integrations with third-party services to aggregate data and process data
- Write scrapers and web collection components
- Systems and data engineering: due to the large amounts of data we collect, speed and efficiency are perpetual concerns for our multi-worker architecture
- Join engineering team and work closely with our product design team. This role comes with a senior engineer to get paired with you and guide you on improving over time
- Review work done by the Engineers of the team
Skills and Qualifications
- 8+ years experience developing software
- Knowledgeable in modern systems architectures and implementation
- Python and one or more of its web server frameworks (e.g. FAST API, Flask, Django)
- Unit and end-to-end testing
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases and data modeling
- Experienced knowledge of code versioning tools (e.g. Git)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Mentor and Organize tasks assignments for team members
- Cloud Services
- Golang with a demonstrable knowledge of core HTTP REST implementations
- Golang service top practices for concurrent designs
- Deployment automation and scalable infrastructure (Code-as-Infrastructure)
- Knowledge of HTTP / REST security concepts, including common vulnerabilities
To learn more, check out our featured press releases:
- Coalition Closes $250 Million in Series F Funding, Valuing the Cyber Insurance Provider at $5 Billion
- Coalition Named to Fast Company’s Annual List of of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022
- Coalition Launches Active Insurance, Reaches $650M Run Rate GWP
- Coalition launches tech-powered executive risks products with personalized risk assessment for all US small-businesses
Something looks off?