Lead Software Engineer, Machine Learning Platform
About the role
In this role, you’ll join Chime’s Data Science and Machine Learning team that combats fraud, improves member experience, creates recommendations for users, and much more. You’ll contribute to Chime’s ML platform, which includes infrastructure for building and deploying production ML models (model training, batch and transactional inference) as well as model monitoring and alerting. Your work will accelerate ML development as the team scales up and out alongside Chime’s explosive member growth.
The base salary offered for this role and level of experience will begin at $167,200 and up to $232,200. Full-time employees are also eligible for a bonus, competitive equity package, and benefits. The actual base salary offered may be higher, depending on your location, skills, qualifications, and experience.
In this role, you can expect to
- Design, implement, scale, and support cloud infrastructure for serving realtime and batch ML inferences
- Build realtime and batch feature pipelines, collaborating with Chime’s Data Engineering and Data Science teams, among others
- Design and deploy low latency, scalable, and high-availability microservice APIs that integrate seamlessly with Chime Engineering services.
- Deliver on our ML Platform reliability and observability strategy, including standardized metrics and SLO dashboards, dependency-graph-aware alerting, and advocating for best practices Chime-wide
- Provide our Data Science team with ML observability and explainability, including drift detection, model performance monitoring, and feature and prediction cohorting, accelerating both new and iterative model development
- Help grow our SageMaker ML pipeline infrastructure for model training, evaluation and deployment at scale
- Collaborate closely with a wide range of Chime teams, including Product, Engineering, Risk, and more
To thrive in this role, you have
- CS or related degree with 6+ years of experience implementing and deploying large-scale distributed systems, backend systems, or ML pipeline infrastructure in production
- 4+ years of experience working with Cloud (AWS, Azure or GCP), Docker, CI/CD, and orchestration technologies (Kubernetes). Experience with Terraform or CloudFormation is a bonus
- 4+ years of end-to-end DSML experience building data pipelines, ML models, DS automation workflows, machine learning tools and using frameworks (Keras, Tensorflow, SparkML, pandas, scikit-learn, etc)
- Experience working with various data and ML infrastructure technologies (SageMaker, AzureML, SQL/NoSQL) and data streaming/processing (Spark, Kafka, Flink, Airflow, AWS Kinesis) is preferred
- Competency in programming skills and software engineering fundamentals (Python, Golang, or similar languages)
- Demonstrated experience leading projects, from inception to deployment and monitoring, while collaborating with cross-functional teams
- Technologies we use: Python, SageMaker, AWS cloud stack (e.g. RDS, S3, DynamoDB, lambdas, Kinesis, ECR), Datadog, Terraform, Snowflake, MySQL, and Postgres, among many others
A little about us
We created Chime because we believe everyone deserves financial peace of mind. By eliminating unnecessary fees and helping people grow their savings automatically, we’ve empowered millions of Americans to take control of their finances.
Chime is the largest and fastest-growing U.S. player in the challenger-banking space. Through our banking partners, we offer access to bank accounts with fee-free overdraft, provide members the chance to receive early access to their paychecks, help them improve their credit, and more!
We’ve built one of the most experienced leadership teams in Fintech and were recently valued at over $25.5B. We’ve raised over $1.7B in funding from leading investors including Sequoia Capital Global Equities, SoftBank Vision Fund 2, General Atlantic, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, DST, Coatue, Iconiq, Menlo Ventures and others.
What we offer
- 💰 Competitive salary based on experience
- ✨ 401k match plus the usual medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy and company-wide Take Care of Yourself Days
- 🖥 Virtual events to connect with your fellow Chimers- think cooking classes, music festivals, mixology classes, paint nights, etc., and delicious snack boxes, too!
- 💚 A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join one of the most experienced teams in FinTech and help create a completely new kind of banking service
We know that great work comes from great, and inclusive teams. At Chime, we specifically look for individuals of varying strengths, skills, backgrounds, and ideas. We believe this gives us a competitive advantage to better serve our members and helps us all grow as Chimers and individuals.
We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chime is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. To learn more about how Chime collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Chime Applicant Privacy Notice.
Something looks off?