Head of Support
Check is leading a revolution in the payroll industry. Payroll is the backbone of the US economy, and yet it has not undergone significant innovation in decades. We invented the embedded payroll space to change that (see: Check: Solving the $150 Billion Payroll Problem, Bank On It; Episode 438), both for the business owners who spend countless hours per week running payroll and for the millions of Americans who depend on their next paycheck. At Check, our mission is to empower the most innovative software platforms to create new payroll businesses, and enable those businesses to transform the way companies pay their employees.
Check’s culture is intensely caring: to each other as teammates, to our partners, and to the businesses and workers we serve. Our teams are made up of creative problem solvers and empathetic cross-functional collaborators who can simplify the complexities of payroll. We bring hustle and grit to our day-to-day, while building enduring solutions and relationships.
Our mission at Check is to make paying people simple and our Support team lies at the heart of accomplishing that mission for our partners. We are seeking a Head of Support to join our Operations leadership team to bring deep subject matter expertise in driving and scaling a services-focused team and product offering to Check and our partners. A leader with an entrepreneurial mindset, experience working cross-functionally and collaboratively with R&D, and a process improvement focus is the right fit for this role. The ability to scale our processes and our team will be the key to success.
Payroll can be complicated, so we’re looking for an experienced leader who wants to challenge themselves at the intersection of emerging API infrastructure and embedded fintech landscape, but also in the decades-old world of payroll. You will be responsible for leading the team who provides exceptional support to partners and their customers using our embedded payroll software application. This is very much a player/coach role where you will be guiding the Support team and engaging with partners and customers directly. The ideal person will have both technical experience and a friendly, consultative approach to solving technical Support team problems, partner/customer problems, and/or product concerns. This individual should have prior exposure to a fast-moving SaaS environment with a Support leadership background.
In this role, you will:
- Lead and inspire a world-class Support team to create a positive partner and customer experience ensuring the delivery of timely, accurate, and highly impactful issue resolution
- Develop strong partner relationships and maximize the goals of Check, our partners, and their customers including supporting partners as they ramp up their Support teams to deliver a flawless experience as they scale including partnering with Sales, Enrollment, R&D and Partner Success teams
- Create a proactive environment where our Support team anticipates and identifies potential partner and customer needs before they arise
- Provide weekly reporting of defined Support metrics and progress of priorities to leadership teams
- Scale the Support function by identifying gaps and opportunities to enhance team workflows, outsourcing options, process and product improvement, reduce risk and deliver a timely, accurate, and reliable partner and customer experience
- Work with our internal teams cross-functionally to deliver scalable and automated workflows as Check and our partners grow to increase partner and customer satisfaction, empower employees, and improve existing processes
- Provide guidance and execute on short and long-term strategic priorities and business objectives through strategic planning, project management, and operational execution; effectively communicate with leadership teams across the company to set priorities and vision for the Support team
- Regularly report to the organization on progress, milestones met and/or deviations from expected performance for the Support team
- Embody a culture of service excellence, leading by example and instilling accountability by setting clear expectations, measuring results, rewarding the right behavior and addressing underperformance head on
- Recruit, coach, develop, and lead team of B2B2C Support professionals
Many backgrounds could fit this role, but ideal candidates will have:
- 5+ years of Support leadership experience at the Manager level or higher in a SaaS-based organization
- 7+ years of customer service experience preferably with a payroll service provider
- Ability to influence across internal and cross-functional departments to champion change, growth, and improvement
- Ability to collect data and project needs of a team or partner and translate them into actionable initiatives
- Hands-on experience scaling critical initiatives in a services-oriented environment
- Thrives in highly cross-functional organizations and experience working collaboratively with R&D specifically
- Partner and customer focus with excellent communication skills; able to create clear communication in ambiguous circumstances to facilitate understanding of complex issues and drive solutions in both verbal and written format
Travel and Office Policy
The Check team is distributed across the US and Canada and we have offices in New York City and San Francisco. While we welcome remote work, we believe time together in person is valuable and important. We offer ample opportunities and encourage employees to attend team offsites, events, and hackathons a couple of times a year! We expect all employees to be willing to attend our annual 3-day company offsite in the fall.
For our in-office and hybrid employees, our offices are open all week. We provide meals on Tuesdays and Thursdays and the team hosts regular happy hours, game nights, etc.
What we offer:
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability, and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on their first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
The expected annual salary for this role is between $133,000 and $190,000 depending upon each candidate’s unique experience and qualifications.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.