Product Manager, Payroll
Check is a payroll-as-a-service API that lets you embed payroll directly in your vertical SaaS, HR, or time-tracking platform. Our API abstracts away the complexities of running payroll: tax calculation, remittance, and filing, plus the movement of money between companies and employees. This enables companies to easily build fully integrated payroll products to offer to their customers. We’re proud to share that Check now powers payroll for platforms that together support over 3 million workers across more than 170,000 small and mid-sized businesses.
For this role, we are seeking an entrepreneurial product manager who will have a hand in building Check’s most critical infrastructure to run payroll for the thousands of businesses and workers on top of our platform. This product manager will serve as a leader who deeply understands our technology stack, our core payroll rules engine, how payroll and tax works and how to design and grow our infrastructure to be the most accurate and robust in the entire payroll industry. They will work closely with Check leadership, engineers, internal operators and our partners to deliver a high quality product that will be responsible for running payroll for thousands of companies on a weekly basis, paying hundreds of thousands of workers.
In this role, you will:
- Serve as editor of Check’s core Payroll product with a goal to make it accurate, exhaustive and intuitively designed
- Drive Check’s product execution with an opinionated perspective, seeking to push new boundaries in Payroll and ensure we’re solving the right customer problems with urgency
- Work closely with experts across our business, engineering and payroll to understand how our core Payroll calculation works, where gaps are and where opportunities for improvement exist
- Deeply understand engineering, payroll and tax requirements, including compliance and regulation standards, to level up the accuracy and exhaustiveness of our most important infrastructure
- Working with engineering and operations, develop a detailed roadmap for how we will scale our core Payroll infrastructure
Many backgrounds could fit this role, but ideal candidates will have some or all of the following:
- 3+ years of experience in product management for technology companies serving enterprise businesses. 6 years of cumulative work experience
- Experience in working in very complex domains with detailed regulatory and operational requirements. Payroll and tax expertise is not required, but is a bonus
- Software engineering or general technical expertise is not required, but is a bonus
- Experience leading large, cross-functional product initiatives that spanned multiple quarters and drove significant business impact
- Experience working in situations with high ambiguity
- Passion for diving into technical and operational details and becoming an expert in your domain
- A deep passion for the customers you serve and a high standard for execution
- An ability to work with a variety of stakeholders of varying background to drive alignment and positive outcomes
- A bias for action in all of your day to day work
- Willingness and ability to attend our annual 3-day company offsite in the fall
What we offer:
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on your first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents and flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
The expected annual salary for this role is between $185,000 and $215,000, dependent upon each candidate’s unique experience and qualifications.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.