Head of Finance & Business Operations
Check is a payroll-as-a-service API that lets you embed payroll directly in your vertical SaaS, HR, or time-tracking platform. Our API abstracts away the complexities of running payroll: tax calculation, remittance, and filing, plus the movement of money between companies and employees. This enables companies to easily build fully integrated payroll products to offer to their customers. We’re proud to share that Check now powers payroll for platforms that together support over 3 million workers across more than 170,000 small and mid-sized businesses.
Check is seeking a Head of Finance and Business Operations. Reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), this pivotal role will spearhead the Finance and Business Operations division, encompassing Strategic Finance, Accounting, Business Operations, and IT. You will work to build and scale Check’s business and financial operations by designing and implementing best practices as well as mentoring and fostering team growth.
The ideal candidate has a solid foundational knowledge of Finance and is excited to drive strategic direction for the business. You bring a keen perspective on the key drivers of financial performance offering insights into optimizing key levers, such as pricing, packaging, workforce management, and vendor expenditures. Equally important, you are a natural leader, capable of both hands-on contributions and nurturing a high-performing team.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the day-to-day operations of our Finance and Business Operations team
- Actively assess financial risks and opportunities and provide financial guidance to the executive team
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders on strategic decisions, including resource allocation and commercial negotiations
- Build, guide, and mentor a high-performing team
- Roll out best practices across the Finance and Business Operations function
- Bring a strong perspective as to appropriate management of our finances at Check
Many backgrounds could fit this role, but ideal candidates will have some or all of the following:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Economics, Accounting, Finance, or related degree
- 8+ years of related experience in finance, including experience in leading a team
- Proven ability to hire, manage, and mentor high-performing teams
- Experience with High growth, SaaS company; knowledge of usage-based revenue model a plus
- History of scaling and process improvement for finance and accounting operations
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and ability to effectively collaborate and drive initiatives cross-functionally
- Excited to work with a distributed team
- Willingness and ability to attend our annual 3-day company offsite in the fall
- Willingness and ability to travel approximately one work week per quarter for managers
What we offer:
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability, and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on their first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
The expected annual salary for this role is between $212,000 and $254,000, dependent upon each candidate’s unique experience and qualifications.
Travel and Office Policy
The Check team is distributed across the US and Canada and we have offices in New York City and San Francisco. While we welcome remote work, we believe time together in person is valuable and important. We offer ample opportunities and encourage employees to attend team offsites, events, and hackathons a couple of times a year! We expect all employees to be willing to attend our annual 3-day company offsite in the fall.
For our in-office and hybrid employees, our offices are open all week. We provide meals on Tuesdays and Thursdays and the team hosts regular happy hours, game nights, etc.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.