Corporate and Regulatory Paralegal
Check is a payroll-as-a-service API that lets you embed payroll directly in your vertical SaaS, HR, or time-tracking platform. Our API abstracts away the complexities of running payroll: tax calculation, remittance, and filing, plus the movement of money between companies and employees. This enables companies to easily build fully integrated payroll products to offer to their customers.
The Legal and Compliance team wears many hats at Check, including negotiating and managing our partner and vendor relationships, along with advising internal and external stakeholders on the myriad regulations that govern payroll processing and money movement. We also manage all legal matters related to the commercial, business operations, and product aspects of Check’s business.
We’re looking for a Corporate and Regulatory Paralegal to join our team and own critical aspects of Check’s Legal function.
In this role, you will:
- Draft contracts and other legal documents
- Maintain Check’s Contract Lifecycle Management system and manage all incoming and active contracts, including renewals
- Manage Check’s employee equity, business registrations, and other business and legal processes
- Maintain Check’s legal document database and assist with department’s knowledge management
- Communicate with investors, banks, outside attorneys and accountants, and other key entities on business and regulatory matters
- Track legal spend and implement process improvements
- Stay abreast of regulatory developments to ensure that Check is meeting its obligations
- Own communications and information distribution from the Legal team to the broader company
- Co-manage Legal-adjacent projects alongside our People, Finance, Partnerships, and Data Security teams
Many backgrounds could fit this role, but ideal candidates have:
- 3-5 years of experience as an in-house paralegal or in legal operations
- Ability to own and manage numerous projects at once in a fast-moving environment
- Excellent writing skills for both internal and external documents
- Meticulous attention to detail and the ability to act as the ultimate source of truth for legal records and processes
- Willingness and ability to learn and expand skills
- An ownership mentality and flexibility to take on a broad range of projects to serve the company’s needs
What we offer:
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on your first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents and flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
The expected annual salary for this role is between $115,000 and $135,000, dependent upon each candidate’s unique experience and qualifications.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.
Something looks off?