Staff Accountant/Payroll Specialist
What we’re looking for:
Ever wish you had the opportunity to use your keen financial acumen to make the Internet a safer place? If so, we've got just the gig for you: join our passionate and talented team at Sift, a rapidly growing Bay Area startup that's helping online businesses fight the scourge of online fraud.
We're looking for a Staff Accountant who has strong payroll experiences in addition to other general accounting experiences. To be a good fit, you also need to be flexible, adaptable, and a big fan of change... we're a startup, after all – it's all part of the fun!
What else? You need to be a strong communicator who challenges yourself every day, continually raising the bar for the entire team. And our ideal candidate is first and foremost a problem-solving whiz who works fast and efficiently without ever losing your attention to detail.
What you’ll be doing (Payroll 60% and Accounting & Financial 40%):
- Oversee full-cycle of payroll processing for all employees (multi-state US and international), including hourly and salaried employees.
- Ensure compliant with payroll tax reporting and withholding responsibilities.
- Audit and review hourly time sheets and system uploads.
- Assist with applications for state tax withholding and unemployment insurance accounts.
- Assist with payroll related matters. Serve as ADP information resource for employees and assist and troubleshoot issues encountered in the time management system.
- Work with cross-functional departments (PeopleOps, IT, Legal, Strategic Finance, etc.) to implement payroll process improvements and best practices, to drive excellence and eliminate errors.
- Support month-end close activities and prepare various monthly journal entries including all payroll-related entries, recurring journal entries, fixed assets and general accounting.
- Review GL detail for correct coding.
- Preparation of account reconciliations.
- Participate in the ongoing development / establishment of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) documents for accounting policies and regulations.
- Assist in year end audit preparation, perform special projects and ad hoc projects as assigned.
- Key player in an inclusive, engaged and high performing team.
What would make you a strong fit:
- BA/BS degree Accounting or Finance
- 3-5 years of payroll experience and general accounting experience
- High attention to detail with excellent organizational and analytical skills, and the capability to prioritize and meet tight deadlines.
- Understanding of federal and state wage and hour laws required; experience with payroll processing required
- Able to multi-task and manage the time accordingly; working in a fast pace, rapid-growth environment
- A team player; demonstrates a high level of professionalism to colleagues, clients, and outside contractors
- Proficiency with ADP WorkforceNow, ADP SmartCompliance required
- Experience with NetSuite, and other financial systems including proficiency in MS Office Suite with intermediate skills in Excel
A little about us:
Sift is the leading innovator in Digital Trust & Safety. Hundreds of disruptive, forward-thinking companies like Zillow, and Twitter trust Sift to deliver outstanding customer experience while preventing fraud and abuse.
The Sift engine powers Digital Trust & Safety by helping companies stop fraud before it happens. But it’s not just another anti-fraud platform: Sift enables businesses to tailor experiences to each customer according to the risk they pose. That means fraudsters experience friction, but honest users do not. By drawing on insights from our global network of customers, Sift allows businesses to scale, win, and thrive in the digital era.
Benefits and Perks:
- Competitive total compensation package
- 401k plan
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Wellness reimbursement
- Education reimbursement
- Flexible time off
Let’s Build It Together
At Sift, we are intentionally building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. We believe that diversity drives innovation, equity is a fundamental right, and inclusion is a basic human need. We envision a place where all Sifties feel secure sharing their authentic selves and diverse experiences with their teams, their customers, and their community – ultimately using this empowerment and authenticity to build trust and create a safer Internet.
This document provides transparency around the way in which Sift handles personal data of job applicants: https://sift.com/recruitment-privacy
Something looks off?