Senior Design Manager, LLC
The Company You’ll Join
Carta is a platform that helps people manage equity, build businesses, and invest in the companies of tomorrow. Our mission is to create more owners.
Carta is trusted by more than 30,000 companies and over half a million employees in nearly 150 countries to manage cap tables, compensation, and valuations. Carta also supports over 5,000 funds representing over $100B in assets under administration with their venture capital solutions. Carta’s liquidity solutions have returned $13B to shareholders in secondary transactions. Today Carta’s platform manages over two trillion dollars in equity for nearly two million people globally. Companies and funds like Canva, Tribe, and Pipe build their businesses on Carta.
The company has been included on the Forbes World’s Best Cloud Companies, Fast Company's Most Innovative list, and Inc.’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies. We’ve also been recognized as a 2023 Built In Best Place to Work in the U.S. and a Muse VIBE Award winner in the Vacation and Time Off category.
For more information about our offices and culture, check out our Carta careers page.
The Team You’ll Work With
Carta is in search of a Senior Product Design Manager who is passionate about leading complex, high impact projects, and influencing product strategy through design vision. This person will work alongside an exceptional design team creating and shipping innovative digital product experiences across the company. The Senior Product Design Manager will be dedicated to the LLC vertical where they will lead high impactful design projects and manage a small design team, stewarding their work toward successful outcomes.
Our ideal candidate is savvy, curious, enjoys working cross-functionally, and can effectively communicate vision to leadership. They can advocate for the nerdiness of design craft in addition to the business case of a given design direction. This person must be a self-starter who can work through ambiguity to lead projects from start to finish. We are looking for someone who can inspire fellow designers and stakeholders, and lead with both user empathy and conviction.
As a Senior Product Design Manager, you will play a crucial role throughout the organization— influencing the future of Carta products. You’ll have the opportunity to design for a range of customer and user archetypes including: company founders, employees vesting equity, investors, law firms, tax experts, and our Carta service and delivery colleagues.
Additionally you will:
- Drive the overall strategic design direction for mission-critical areas of the business
- Deeply understand user needs and drive alignment around solutions to core business problems by creating models, concept diagrams, workflow diagrams, and journey maps
- Design flows, sketches, prototypes, and drive implementation for your product
- Design experiences for web and mobile applications
- Lead design reviews and mentor other designers and stakeholders to up-level their UI/UX design skills
- Contribute to building a strong human centered design culture
The Problems You’ll Solve
Ten years ago, Carta entered the corporation cap table business with a mission to make equity ownership ubiquitous. Today the idea of giving equity to employees is not only the norm, it’s an expectation in industries beyond tech. We lowered the administrative burden of equity issuance on companies and started a movement to empower employees through equity knowledge. Now over 40% of venture backed corporations live on Carta.
In order to accelerate the pursuit of our mission of ownership ubiquity, we are expanding this motion for an even bigger and more complex category of business types - Limited Liability Corporations. LLCs are one of the most common and fastest growing entity types due to a series of company friendly IRS rulings that passed in the late 80s and early 90s.
This is a zero to one business at Carta looking for a design leader to help shape product strategy, nurture a team of product designers, and help find product market fit.
The ideal candidate is passionate about building intuitive solutions to complex problems that provide direct value to users and enjoys driving strategy, ideation, prioritization, problem solving, and product delivery. If that sounds like you, we would love to talk to you. In our search, we're prioritizing:
- 10+ years of product design experience
- A strong portfolio of case studies that demonstrate a successful track record of human-centered design solutions that address strategic business problems
- Deep expertise in UI/UX craft; passion for visual design, interaction details, typography, and pixel perfect deliverables
- Experience influencing cross-functional teams to adopt bold design solutions
- Exceptional communication and storytelling skills that allow you to convey the value of your design solutions.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment — balancing rigor and scrappiness.
- High comfort level with ambiguity; openness to critique from other disciplines and curiosity to learn from a spectrum of perspectives.
- Passion for mentoring designers and teaching about design craft and quality
- Experience actively managing designers at different stages of their careers
- Nice-to-have: experience with finance or either the venture capital or private equity space
Carta’s compensation package includes a market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, exceptional benefits, and, for applicable roles, commissions plans. Our minimum cash compensation (salary + commission if applicable) range for this role is:
- $180,000 - $225,000 in [Seattle, WA]
- $200,000 - $250,000 [San Francisco, CA; Santa Clara, CA, New York, NY]
Final offers may vary from the amount listed based on geography, candidate experience and expertise, and other factors.