Director of Product Management, LLC
The Company You’ll Join
Carta is a platform that helps people manage equity, build businesses, and invest in the companies of tomorrow. Our mission is to create more owners.
Carta is trusted by more than 30,000 companies and over half a million employees in nearly 150 countries to manage cap tables, compensation, and valuations. Carta also supports over 5,000 funds representing over $100B in assets under administration with their venture capital solutions. Carta’s liquidity solutions have returned $13B to shareholders in secondary transactions. Today Carta’s platform manages over two trillion dollars in equity for nearly two million people globally. Companies and funds like Canva, Tribe, and Pipe build their businesses on Carta.
The company has been included on the Forbes World’s Best Cloud Companies, Fast Company's Most Innovative list, and Inc.’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies. We’ve also been recognized as a 2023 Built In Best Place to Work in the U.S. and a Muse VIBE Award winner in the Vacation and Time Off category.
For more information about our offices and culture, check out our Carta careers page.
The Team You’ll Work With
The LLC team is a tight knit, cross functional and high caliber team. In addition to the product team, the R&D team is composed of designers, QA and engineers. The LLC R&D team is biased toward action, embracing the mantra of build → measure → learn by solving customer problems first and engineering second. The R&D leads also work closely with business counterparts in sales, onboarding, delivery, business development, strategy and product marketing.
The LLC team embodies the Carta identity trait of ownership. They are passionate about this customer, business and problem set. The team has a strong ethos. Being on the team feels both special and exciting.
The Problems You’ll Solve
Ten years ago, Carta entered the corporation cap table business with a mission to make equity ownership ubiquitous. Today the idea of giving equity to employees is not only the norm, it’s an expectation in industries beyond tech. We lowered the administrative burden of equity issuance on companies and started a movement to empower employees through equity knowledge. Now over 40% of venture backed corporations live on Carta.
In order to accelerate the pursuit of our mission of ownership ubiquity, we are expanding this motion for an even bigger and more complex category of business types - Limited Liability Corporations. LLCs are one of the most common and fastest growing entity types due to a series of company friendly IRS rulings that passed in the late 80s and early 90s.
This is a zero to one business at Carta looking for a product leader to take the helm and shape product strategy, nurture and manage a team of three product managers, and find product market fit. As one of the fastest growing businesses at Carta, we believe that in the limit, the LLC business will surpass our corporation cap table business in size and value. As the product leader of the business, you’ll help the org navigate some challenging problems like:
- What does the network effect look like in the LLC business and how do we get the flywheel going?
- How do we move the center of gravity of users from spreadsheets into our application?
- Which segments of the LLC universe do we solve for and in what order?
- How do we streamline onboarding LLC companies onto Carta?
- You build software to solve business problems and can take a product from zero to one.
- You are a great coach and can help nurture and grow your product team.
- You love going deep on problems and learning about complex concepts like LLC distribution, waterfalls, or ASC718 reporting. Experience in private equity or venture capital is bonus.
- Whether you are discussing technical architecture with engineers, presenting the product strategy to the Executive Team, or engaging with a customer on their challenges, you are an adept communicator to a variety of audiences.
- You can connect the dots between disparate functions in org to drive higher level business outcomes.
- You are an expert at influencing without authority.
- You have perseverance to withstand the ups and downs of a zero to one business in a highly complex and yet to be established market.
Carta’s compensation package includes a market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, exceptional benefits, and, for applicable roles, commissions plans. Our minimum cash compensation (salary + commission if applicable) range for this role is:
- $225,000- $300,000 in [San Francisco, Santa Clara]
Final offers may vary from the amount listed based on geography, candidate experience and expertise, and other factors.