Senior Software Engineer, LLC
The Company You’ll Join
Carta is a platform that helps people manage equity, build businesses, and invest in the companies of tomorrow. Our mission is to create more owners.
Carta is trusted by more than 30,000 companies and over half a million employees in nearly 150 countries to manage cap tables, compensation, and valuations. Carta also supports over 5,000 funds representing over $100B in assets under administration with their venture capital solutions. Carta’s liquidity solutions have returned $13B to shareholders in secondary transactions. Today Carta’s platform manages over two trillion dollars in equity for nearly two million people globally. Companies and funds like Canva, Tribe, and Pipe build their businesses on Carta.
The company has been included on the Forbes World’s Best Cloud Companies, Fast Company's Most Innovative list, and Inc.’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies. We’ve also been recognized as a 2023 Built In Best Place to Work in the U.S. and a Muse VIBE Award winner in the Vacation and Time Off category.
For more information about our offices and culture, check out our Carta careers page.
The Team You'll Work With
You will join our R&D team of learners, builders, and experts in our Private Equity LLC group. We founded LLC in 2020 with a mission to expand Carta’s total addressable market and acquire more nodes in the ownership graph outside Venture Capital.
We are Carta’s step into alternative assets including Private Equity, Real Estate, Professional Services Organizations, Roll-ups, and other non-tech operating companies. To do this, Carta LLC must support the disparate equity structures, heavier reliance on documents, and multi-entity structures we see in these companies. The Carta LLC product allows managing ownership in any LLC business with bespoke equity structures.
We are one of the fastest growing businesses within Carta that is a big bet for the future, and we are relentless in our pursuit to create leverage for them. We do so by deeply understanding the domain and the jobs to be done. We run towards hard and messy problems. We serve the business, first and foremost, and invest in ourselves and each other in service of that effort.
Our business is set to double this year which is why we need you.
Interested? But don’t recognize any of these jargons? Keep reading!
Who we are
We are a lean team of 25 individuals that is only 3 years old. We launched our product in 2020 and since then have been on a quest to find a repeatable go-to-market motion. After a couple of years of ups and downs, we believe we’ve finally found it, and this year we plan to double our business.
The scope and impact of each individual are immense. We are biased toward action and believe in the mantra of build -> measure -> learn. On the team, you'll collaborate closely with our product manager and designer to understand the motivation (why) behind a customer want, defining the scope of work (what), and build a solution (how) with your engineering peers to deliver the desired customer value.
Diversity is our strength; our team members are from many different nationalities and technical backgrounds, and we value the unique characteristics that make us who we are. To uphold our values, we believe that trust and humility are of the utmost importance.
Our development philosophy closely mirrors Agile Scrum, but we are not afraid to deviate from it. We care about solving customer problems first and foremost.
The Problems You’ll Solve
As we expand beyond Venture Capital, we’ll need you to help define requirements and build solutions for products that bridge the gap for clients in Private Equity backed LLCs. We are building a brand new product to address this market.
Here are some problems we need you to help us solve:
- LLCs operate on a diverse range of contracts, how do we model this variability in Carta?
- LLCs are used to represent many different types of asset classes, how are these nuances represented in the data model and how do they cascade into distinct product experiences?
- Private Equity firms, their investors, the lawyers, and their portfolio companies have many user personas and access controls. How do we offer great experiences to each of these users?
As one of the first few engineers on this team, you will play a key role in features for the foundational product. This is a collaborative effort across teams and disciplines. The choices we make will define our future product infrastructure. The cross-functional team is talking to top Private Equity firms and large enterprise customers to gather requirements for our roadmap. In this role you will:
- Architect, design and code highly available, secure, and scalable financial platforms
- Adhere to test-driven development (TDD), maintain high levels of code coverage and automation
- Conduct timely and thoughtful peer code review
- Leverage logging and monitoring of platforms to improve observability
- Instrument system performance and business metrics
- Mentor and grow junior developers
You deeply care about your user and are relentless in your pursuit to build delightful user experiences that wow the customer! You are energized by solving deep problems collaboratively who can easily transition between a Solver and Tech Lead archetype. Additionally,
- You have 5+ years of backend or full-stack engineering experience
- You have experience in architecting complex SaaS products with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and microservices.
- You are passionate about some elements of our tech stack (ReactJS, Java, Python, Datadog, REST / GRPC, Kafka, K8s, AWS)
- You are excited to work with stakeholders across engineering, product, business and marketing.
- You have a desire to become a product domain expert and refine ambiguous product requirements to deliver customer value.
- You see communication as one of your strengths.
- You want to build and own your work end-to-end.
- You are eager to move fast, but recognize when to build for the future.
The Interview Process
Carta follows a standard tech startup interview process, where you will meet with a recruiter and hiring manager first. We’ll then ask you to showcase your skills through a take home exercise based on a real-world engineering problem we encounter at Carta everyday. (we do not do LeetCode-style interviews, no one will quiz you on writing a doubly-linked list :D), followed by a series of virtual interviews. During the process, we encourage you to ask questions to people across different parts of the LLC team to learn what kind of work we do and how it lines up with your interests.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at email@example.com. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values.
Something looks off?