Senior Backend Engineer
Candidly was founded in 2016 to flip the script on what it means to plan, borrow, repay, and save for college. Today, we’re the category leader with the market’s most comprehensive AI-driven student debt and savings optimization platform. We partner with hundreds of top employers, financial institutions, and retirement record keepers, positioning Candidly to serve more than 35 million Americans.
We’re already achieving incredible results — to date, we’ve helped our users get on track to eliminate more than $650 million in student debt and pay off their loans 68,000 years quicker — and we’re seeking movers, shakers, innovators, and problem solvers to help take our mission even further.
Candidly is a high-growth, Series B startup, funded by leading investors including Altos Ventures, Aflac, Salesforce Ventures, UBS, Equal Opportunity Ventures, Impact Engine, Rethink Impact, Unum, and Cercano Management. Our fully remote, international team of 70 (and counting) includes alumni from Google, UBS, Twitter, Plaid, Prudential, LendingTree, Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Bank, and more.
Our team is fully remote and is made up of leaders, creators, visionaries, parents, partners, cycling enthusiasts, winemakers, and champion jugglers (yes, really!) living and working all around the world. This position is open to candidates in the US, South America, or Canada.
Candidly is looking for a seasoned engineer to join our engineering team. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be part of a team leading and being a part of a team committed to autonomy, accountability, and ownership of various high-quality solutions built with modern technologies and best practices in mind.
To ensure success, you should have in-depth knowledge of all aspects of web application development, both from a technical (Frontend to Infrastructure) and non-technical (Product Discovery, through Delivery, to Customer Success) perspective. You should be able to evaluate needs, time limitations, and system limitations when conceptualizing solutions.
- Implement and maintain services in Candidly's Backend PHP architecture
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving across platform and application domains
- Suggest application architecture improvements and recommend process improvements
- Champion changes to the team's tools and processes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the development team
- Document processes for use by other application developers and to comply with regulations
- Participate in business and technical planning
- Write functional/technical specifications from the product requirements
- Provide monitoring and guidance in application design and development to other staff
- Provide thought leadership in designing and developing innovative integrated solutions
Required Skills and Experience
- Excellent communication skills in English, both verbal and written
- Developing PHP code leveraging PHP frameworks such as Laravel, Phalcon, or Symfony
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Developing API RESTful Architectures
- Gathering and maintaining data from internal and external APIs
- Working as a part of a Lean/Agile engineering team, executing assigned project tasks within an established schedule
- SQL database management and queries
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated and able to independently identify and implement needed improvements
- Able to work remotely and independently
- Track record of developing complex software systems and the ability to explain the implementation details
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Automated testing using unit or integration tests
- Comfortable with frequent incremental code testing and deployment
- Previous startup experience
- DevOps and continuous integration (CI) and continuous delivery (CD)
- MySQL database administration
- Docker experience
- AWS Tools (EC2, RDS, Lambdas)
Background and EEOC
Candidly offers for employment are conditioned upon satisfactory completion of our employment screening process (including, but not limited to, a review of past employment and education records, background investigation, and/or credit check & fingerprints).
Candidly strives to foster an environment where every employee can succeed. As an Equal Opportunity Employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.