Vice President of Finance
Candidly was founded in 2016 to flip the script on what it means to plan, borrow, repay, and save for college. Today, we’re the category leader with the market’s most comprehensive AI-driven student debt and savings optimization platform. We partner with hundreds of top employers, financial institutions, and retirement record keepers, positioning Candidly to serve more than 35 million Americans.
We’re already achieving incredible results — to date, we’ve helped our users get on track to eliminate more than $650 million in student debt and pay off their loans 68,000 years quicker — and we’re seeking movers, shakers, innovators, and problem solvers to help take our mission even further.
Candidly is a high-growth, Series B startup, funded by leading investors including Altos Ventures, Aflac, Salesforce Ventures, UBS, Equal Opportunity Ventures, Impact Engine, Rethink Impact, Unum, and Cercano Management. Our fully remote, international team of 70 (and counting) includes alumni from Google, UBS, Twitter, Plaid, Prudential, LendingTree, Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Bank, and more.
As VP of Finance, you will be a critical leader and hands-on operator helping drive the company’s strategic decision-making, financial operations and investor relations. You will be a vocal champion of the company’s financial health, guiding smart strategic growth decisions and identifying opportunities to improve the company’s unit economics and profitability. You will partner with senior leadership and team managers across the company to develop strong financial planning, operations, analytical rigor and controls. You will be responsible for leading all finance, accounting, treasury and investor relations at the company, and will report directly to the CEO.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Create long-range plans, and assess and adjust the financial requirements in these plans over time
- Maintain lines of communication with investment bankers, financial analysts and shareholders
- Identify and address with the CEO and leadership team, value creation levers and risks
- Effectively manage, deploy and conserve the company’s capital in accordance with the strategic plan
- Manage investor relations, financial partners and strategic advisors
- Work closely with all stakeholders on strategic opportunities, including M&A activity
- Build and lead a world-class, well-organized finance function, including accounting, financial operations, and strategic finance
- Develop financial models to help drive strategic business initiatives including fundraising, product expansion, pricing models and new partnerships
- Partner with the sales team to ensure that customer contracts have business terms favorable to the company (both in terms of revenue, unit economics and strategic value)
- Deliver clear and concise operational results, including KPIs along with qualitative analysis to the CEO, Management Team and Board of Directors.
- Identify and onboard the company’s financial tools and technologies, including financial reporting, billing system, expense management, payroll processing (domestic and international), equity management, and treasury management systems
- Build and maintain accounting policies and financial controls
- Oversee stock administration and 409a valuations
- Develop tax strategies and manage the overall tax planning activities of the company
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- 7+ years of experience building and leading finance and accounting functions at venture-backed startups, preferably in the employee benefits, workplace, and/or financial services sector (employee benefits, payments, and/or fintechs)
- Detailed-oriented, critical thinker that thrives in ambiguity and constant change
- Experience in high-growth B2B SaaS companies implementing and delivering best-in-class experiences to enterprise-level customers
- Track -record of scaling revenues from $10M/$20M to $50M/$100M
- A problem solver with a strong background in financial planning and analysis with superior negotiating skills
- Experience working with institutional investors, including demonstrated successful outcomes with such investors;
- Experience completing acquisitions, including due diligence, negotiation and integration is preferred
- Strong legal and contractual competence and an instinct for when outside expertise will add value
- Demonstrated leadership skills, as a player/coach who inspires confidence and trust and motivates teams to reach new heights
- Ability to pivot from hands-on finance to team leader and strategic counsel to CEO and the board
- Self-motivated, organized and accountable, with ability to balance time and juggle multiple projects through to completion
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- An accounting designation and/or Masters degree in Accounting or Business Administration/Commerce, or equivalent business experience
We support our Can-doers with comprehensive healthcare plans (medical, dental and vision), retirement plans, a co-working allowance, life and disability insurance, and paid vacation time, parental leave, and volunteer days. Of course, we also offer a student loan repayment benefit!
Our team is fully remote and is made up of leaders, creators, visionaries, parents, partners, cycling enthusiasts, winemakers, and champion jugglers (yes, really!) living and working all around the world. This role is open to candidates based in the US.
Background and EEOC
Candidly offers for employment are conditioned upon satisfactory completion of our employment screening process (including, but not limited to, a review of past employment and education records, background investigation, and/or credit check & fingerprints).
Candidly strives to foster an environment where every employee can succeed. As an Equal Opportunity Employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.