Senior Counsel, Commercial (Remote)
Why join us
Brex empowers the next generation of businesses with an integrated corporate card and spend management software. We make it easy for our customers to manage every aspect of spending and empower their employees to make better financial decisions from anywhere they live or work. Brex proudly serves tens of thousands of growing businesses, from early-stage startups to enterprise leaders.
Working at Brex allows you to push your limits, challenge the status quo, and collaborate with some of the brightest minds in the industry. We’re committed to building a diverse team and inclusive culture and believe your potential should only be limited by how big you can dream. We make this a reality by empowering you with the tools, resources, and support you need to grow your career.
Legal at Brex
The Legal team helps the company grow responsibility, advocating for Brex and for the thousands of growing businesses we serve. We provide strategic advice and guidance to all Brex teams, protect Brex, advise on risk, and represent the company externally, negotiating with partners and interacting with regulators. Reimagining the financial system in a highly regulated environment requires creativity and resourcefulness, and we welcome the challenge.
What you’ll do
As Senior Counsel, Commercial at Brex, you will be an integral and versatile member of the Legal team and will support all aspects of the Company’s commercial legal efforts. You will negotiate a wide range of both inbound vendor and procurement contracts and Brex Empower enterprise SaaS agreements with the Company’s customers. You will advise on product and privacy issues that intersect with commercial matters, and collaborate with a wide range of cross-functional partners, including sales, go-to-market, privacy, security, product, marketing, and engineering. You will assist in the development and implementation of commercial contracting processes, including contract management technology, internal policies and procedures, and contract templates. You’ll be able to provide sound and pragmatic legal advice and take a business-oriented approach to problem solving.
- Review, draft, negotiate and interpret a wide variety of inbound commercial contracts including vendor agreements (e.g., SaaS and other technology agreements), master and professional services agreements, non-disclosure agreements, consulting services agreements, business referral agreements, event space and marketing and promotional agreements
- Review, draft, negotiate, and interpret enterprise SaaS agreements and supporting documents with the Company’s customers
- Collaborate effectively with subject matter experts and business partners across the Company to contextualize transactions and translate business, product and operational requirements into legal terms and conditions
- Provide strategic counsel on commercial-related product legal issues and work closely with the product team to develop legal terms and conditions for new products or features
- Drive continuous improvements, scalability and operational excellence in contract negotiation processes and execution, leveraging contract management technology to ensure that contracts are executed on a timely basis and with acceptable deal parameters.
- Contribute to various internal knowledge management initiatives that support the Legal team and business partners, including building template agreements, contracting policies, procedures, and playbooks, contract intake flows, and contract metadata curation
- Collaborate on presentations and training initiatives to drive efficiency in contract completion and vendor onboarding, allowing Brex to continue to scale in a risk appropriate manner
- Work with our cross-functional privacy team and CPO to develop data security and privacy-related agreements, SOPs, and terms and conditions
- Be a business partner, not just an attorney
- Exceptional judgment and integrity, ability to handle multiple complex contract matters independently on tight timeframes, adept at making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information
- Attention to detail and an ability to view legal issues within the context of business objectives and complex financial product structures, effectively building and maintaining strong relationships with cross-functional business partners
- Demonstrated experience in negotiating and closing complex technology and SaaS contracts with large, sophisticated customers
- Ability and desire to continuously improve processes to maximize efficiencies and optimal outcomes. Experience working with contract management technology is a plus
- Minimum 5 years’ working experience within the corporate, tech transactions or commercial law department of a reputable law firm, or in-house at technology or fintech companies
- Experience handling commercial matters at fast-paced growing technology companies is preferred. In-house experience at a SaaS provider is a plus
- Product legal experience in the financial services or fintech space and/or working knowledge of privacy issues in a commercial context is a big plus
- Entrepreneurial mindset and comfort with taking ownership and acting upon it; you welcome challenges and thrive in dynamic, fast-paced environments
- Flexible, adaptive, and always open to learning something new
- JD and admitted to practice in at least one jurisdiction
Please be aware, job-seekers may be at risk of targeting by malicious actors looking for personal data. Brex recruiters will only reach out via LinkedIn or email with a brex.com domain. Any outreach claiming to be from Brex via other sources should be ignored.
Something looks off?