ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re seeking a Director, Underwriting to join our growing team at Boost. In this role, you will serve as a key member in developing and implementing business plans, budgets, forecasts, and strategic plans. You will act as a thought leader to the Chief Underwriting Officer by providing valuable analytical insight and perspective to assist in Boost’s growth. Join us in shaping the future of underwriting excellence.
At Boost, we’re building a better insurance experience - and a better insurance company. Our vision is to democratize the industry through technology and innovation so everyone can have access to the protection they need, when they need it. Boost is on a mission to make the insurance industry accessible to innovators, by providing the compliance, capital, and technology infrastructure they need to offer modern protection to their customers. Since launching in 2018, we’ve powered over 40 high-growth insurtech innovators as they expand access to embedded insurance.
Boost Insurance empowers any company to engage with their customers and increase sales by offering insurance through their own digital experience. Licensed to develop and distribute P&C insurance products in all 50 states, Boost provides insurance infrastructure-as-a-service that packages the necessary compliance, operational, capital, and technological components of an insurance program into a turnkey white-labeled solution, accessible via a simple API integration. Businesses that choose Boost can reduce the cost and complexity of building and managing their insurance function, and quickly begin engaging their customers with valuable insurance products. For more information, please visit boostinsurance.com.
Why join Boost?
Take on the Challenge Work with people who see challenges as untested opportunities and who dive head first into finding solutions.
Create It and Own It Everyone at Boost is a creator and an owner. Take your position and run with it.
Expect Transparency You want to know what’s going on and we want you to be informed. The more we work together, the more successful we’ll all be.
Always Laugh Don’t take yourself too seriously, we surely don’t. Celebrate the victories, learn from the mistakes, and enjoy the ride
What You’ll Do:
- Create sound underwriting guidelines for new insurance products and maintain the underwriting integrity of existing products, including partner specific guidelines
- Collaborate with the Growth, Technology, and Legal Teams on the research and diligence of potential partner’s insurance strategies
- Handle underwriting referrals for Boost’s partners
- Work closely with the Lead Actuary in creating portfolio management metrics and maintain oversight of partner profitability
- Work closely with the the Insurance Product Innovation team on new product development with a focus on marketplace and reinsurance risk
- Manage the oversight of Boost’s audit program that ensures regulatory compliance and report on results monthly
- Support the Chief Underwriting Officer with all communication with Boost’s reinsurance and carrier partners.
Skills + Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Must have 7+ years of experience in either Property or Casualty lines in an underwriting role
- Must have a creative underwriting mind that is capable of finding solutions rather than defaulting to the status quo
- Must have strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Must have an understanding of the reinsurance market
- Exceptional research skills with the ability to analyze and break down complex problems, find solutions, and communicate them effectively across diverse stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Resourceful with a passion for diving deep into new topics to become a subject matter expert
- High degree of interest and working knowledge of insurtech trends
- Experience in a startup or growth stage company
- Master’s Degree in Applied Business Analytics Management or similar degree
- Strong preference for experience adjusting claims in more than one line of business
Compensation + Benefits:
- The pay range is estimated to be between $135,000.00 - $ 165,000.00 USD per year for New York City residents.
- When determining the wage range for this role, several factors are considered, including but not limited to skill sets, experience, training, licensure & certifications, and other business needs. Geographic differentials associated with the location where the position may be filled have not been adjusted in the disclosed range estimate. It is uncommon for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their position, each case is analyzed appropriately.
- Equity commensurate with experience (everyone is an owner!)
- Medical Insurance: 100% covered up to
- Only employee - $1k
- Employee + 1 dependent (spouse or children) - $1.25k
- Employee + family - $1.5k
- If you waive this Medical benefit as you can receive it elsewhere, Boost contributes $350 per month to help you pay for it!
- Dental & Vision: 100% covered by Company for employee + all dependents
- Optional Healthcare FSA medical reimbursement account
- Unlimited PTO
- 16 weeks of Paid Parental Leave
- 401(k) retirement savings program
- Carbon offset matching program thru KarmaWallet
- Monthly work from home snack reimbursement
- Monthly Pet Insurance/Pet Wellness Plan reimbursement
- A close-knit team that always has each other's back
- Jeans and t-shirts environment
- Monthly company lunches
- Best office dogs in the business
- Hybrid Schedule: Mon & Fri WFH; Tues, Weds, and Thurs in the NY Office
If you feel that you don't meet all the requirements and are excited about the opportunity, we'd love to hear from you! Send us your application, let's get acquainted.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Boost is committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace. In our opinion, a successful organization celebrates its employees' differences, and is only strengthened by their individuality. Boost does not discriminate based on race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or other legally protected status.
We are not currently offering employer visa sponsorship for this role.
Something looks off?