Senior Corporate Counsel, Employment & Labor
Build your career with purpose. Be a champion for small and mid-size businesses.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
This position is based in San Jose, CA. We support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
We are hiring a Senior Corporate Counsel, Employment & Labor who will provide pragmatic advice on a broad range of employment issues and serve as a strategic legal business partner. We are headquartered in San Jose, California, with offices in Texas, Utah and Sydney, Australia. The Senior Corporate Counsel will assist the Corporate Legal team and collaborate with the People Team and other cross-functional stakeholders on employment matters in the U.S. and advise on various matters pertaining to BILL’s foreign operations. The Senior Corporate Counsel will partner closely with the People Team to provide practical advice and counseling on a wide range of employment law issues and will contribute to the development and implementation of employee-related policies and training. Reporting to the Director, Corporate Counsel, Employment & Labor, this role will also serve as a trusted advisor to the People Team on employment-related disputes, internal investigations, performance management, leave and disability issues, terminations, and other employment-related matters.
The successful candidate will be expected to provide pragmatic, collaborative and solution-oriented legal support throughout the company; have a strong business sense and have experience proactively advising internal clients in a high-growth and fast-paced environment.
- Provide practical and business-oriented day-today legal advice to cross-functional partners on a broad range of employment related matters, which may include: hiring and recruiting, investigations, discipline and termination, leaves of absence, disability accommodation, wage and hour, anti-discrimination, compensation and benefits, non-competition and non-solicitation, protection of confidential information, contingent workforce, employee relations, DEI initiatives, and other issues.
- Independently handle and manage outside counsel in disputes, employment litigation matters and administrative agency proceedings, and provide risk assessment and strategic guidance to internal stakeholders.
- Partner across departments to build scalable and compliant processes and templates, global policies, employment agreements, separation and settlement agreements, and other employment-related documents.
- Partner with the People Team and other stakeholders to conduct and oversee workplace investigations in a manner that mitigates legal risk and aligns with Company policy.
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of training to cross-functional partners on employment law and compliance issues.
- Provide legal briefings/updates to the People Team and business managers on new laws and regulations.
- Provide employment law support for international operations and expansion and assist with other legal team projects to assist with business needs in order to achieve objectives.
We’d love to chat if you have:
- Juris Doctorate degree and admitted to practice law in California.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of labor and employment law experience, including a combination of law firm and in-house experience.
- Excellent academic credentials
- Experience working with a US multinational and/or publicly-traded company.
- Experience in providing day-to-day advice and counseling to management on California-based issues and defending California-based employers in employment litigation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (including analysis, interpretation, reasoning, and a high level of well-measured advocacy)
- Strong analytical skills; committed to developing interpersonal relationships with leaders throughout the organization; passionate problem-solver; confident presentation skills;
- Excellent drafting skills and attention to detail, with expertise in drafting and negotiating employment settlement agreements.
- Ability to pragmatically weigh risks and benefits of complex situations
- Attitude that no project is too big or too small
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment
- Solid understanding and application of public company equity compensation (preferred)
- Experience working with a tech company (preferred).
- Exposure to international employment law and labor issues in Australia and Canada (preferred)
This role is based in California.
The estimated base salary range for this role is noted below for our office location in San Jose, CA. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in BILL’s bonus and equity plan. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants
Something looks off?