Senior Manager Income Tax Operations
Do the best work of your career, helping businesses change the way they manage finances.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
Reporting to the Head of Tax, the Senior Manager - Income Tax Operations position is ideal for an experienced tax professional looking to have a critical role in a growing company’s tax team.
This role requires 2 days per week at our San Jose Office.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing the preparation of the US quarterly and year-end tax provision, the U.S. federal income tax return, US International, state, and local returns, and non-US tax return. The position is a key contributor to our tax team and to the company’s continued growth.
- Manage and review quarterly and annual income tax provision in accordance with ASC 740, including UTP documentation, Acquisition Accounting, related tax footnotes and disclosures in the Company’s SEC filings, collaborating closely with other tax team members, the accounting team, and outside consultants.
- Review federal, state and local estimated tax payments and extensions
- Participate in and support controls and documentation regarding SOX compliance.
- Manage and review consolidated US federal income tax return, US international, state and local returns, and foreign tax returns.
- Partner with other tax team members to evaluate and implement process improvements to anticipate Company’s growth and expansion
- Coordinate and manage outside consultants as needed.
- Support federal, state and foreign tax audits, as requested.
- Work with external tax consultants and internal and external auditors.
- Participate in and support other projects as assigned
We'd love to chat if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field
- CPA and/or MST preferred
- 10-12 years of experience in a Big 4 / regional public accounting firm and including experience in the corporate tax function of a publicly-traded company, including the quarterly/annual tax provision process and SOX compliance
- Solid experience with federal and multi-state corporate income/franchise tax, including compliance reporting, audits, and notices
- Excellent communication and people skills – ability to communicate clearly, precisely and command the respect of business colleagues.
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Proven project management skills to manage complex projects regarding income tax compliance and tax provision
- Ability to research and recommend appropriate courses of action regarding tax issues
- Quantitative skills (e.g., ability to create and/or review Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint slides). Knowledge of ERP systems, Tax Software, Alteryx a plus.
- Flexibility – the ability to deal with changing internal and external environments.
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid employee health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
This role is based in California.
The estimated base salary range for this role is noted below for our office location in San Jose, CA. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in BILL’s bonus and equity plan. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
For positions that are in office we support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days. Check out our LinkedIn Life Page for each location and Discover BILL.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants