Senior Manager, Engineering - Growth
Being a Champion for SMBs is good for business. And a career defining opportunity for you
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
This position is based at San Jose. We support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
The Growth Engineering team plays a critical role in increasing BILL’s customer base through Product-led Growth strategy. The team is responsible for building and maintaining signup, onboarding and first-time use experience in the product aiming to improve activation rate and engagement. As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for empowering your teams to be successful and setting up the technical direction.
- Lead and support a team of 10 engineers in achieving a high level of technical excellence and stability
- Deliver new end-to-end capabilities that consist of customer-facing UI and underlying platform services
- Lead the team to try out ideas and learn fast through rapid experimentation
- Work with team architects, product managers and other engineering managers to deliver capabilities that provides the best onboarding experience for our customers
- Manage and develop processes to help the team to do best work and interface effectively with the rest of the BILL
- Develop your engineers through coaching, mentoring and performance management
- Work with Talent Acquisition to hire engineers and interns as you scale the team. Participate in university recruiting and other events
- Maintain high standards for operational excellence and engineering rigor through unit tests, functional tests and performance tests
- Serve as the scrum master for your team’s deliverables and take ownership from design through development and production support
- Review plans, code, and provide technical guidance to your engineers
- Contribute to plans, progress and outcomes at monthly reviews and company meetings
We’d love to chat if you have:
- BS Computer Science or Engineering
- 8+ years overall software development experience with at least 2+ years in a management role
- Experience and enjoy working closely with customer, both internal and external
- Experience working well with cross-functional teams, and are able to think outside the box and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
- Experience leading teams with 5+ engineers in a SaaS environment, and able to drive decisions to support architecture and product
- Track record for delivering product features and services with high quality with multiple production deliveries per month
- Experience working with development, QA, program management and product management in an agile scrum model
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal, and confidence presenting in group settings
- Experimentation mindset is strongly preferred
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid employee health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
This role is based in California.
The estimated base salary range for this role is noted below for our office location in San Jose, CA. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in BILL’s bonus and equity plan. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
For positions that are in office we support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days. Check out our LinkedIn Life Page for each location and Discover BILL.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants