Do the best work of your career, helping businesses change the way they manage finances.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
Bill.com is looking for a highly motivated Senior Paralegal with 8+ years of experience to join our legal team to be a primary team member for resolving customer disputes, litigation and regulatory complaints. The ideal candidate will have substantial experience in running investigations in a company, gathering key records related to disputes, organizing relevant facts for pre-litigation dispute resolution and preparing responses to customer complaints. The Senior Paralegal will work closely with our inhouse litigation lawyer and with various support teams such as customer service, payment and risk operations teams and will join a passionate and dedicated team of legal and compliance professionals on a mission to support the company’s growth.
Professional Experience/Background to be successful in this role:
- 8+ years of combined customer dispute resolution and litigation experience, with an emphasis on hands-on pre-litigation dispute resolution.
- The ability to lead and run internal investigations, gather relevant records, and identify and organize factual timelines in clear and succinct summaries.
- Self-starter who can track deadlines, navigate a company to find key stakeholders for information and proactively move, through resolution, an entire case portfolio.
- Legal writing skill as it relates to preparing complaint responses and basic legal documents such as legal holds, discovery objections, continuance requests and settlement agreements.
- Comfort with interacting directly with customers and where needed resolving small disputes.
- Experience in working with litigation counsel to support all aspects of litigation, including pleadings, motions, service, discovery, case management and resolution.
- The ability to maintain dispute files in an up-to-date fashion and produce regular reports and metrics on disputes.
- Comfortable with legal research of non-complex issues, the ability to reach conclusions on that research and apply those conclusions to practical action in resolving customer disputes.
- Ability to assist with the creation of practical processes and protocols (such as playbooks and templates) to increase efficiencies and to guide support teams in dispute resolution.
- Comfort with identifying risks that should be escalating and collaborating with litigation counsel to address those risks.
- Experience in responding to subpoenas, liens and garnishments and other discovery requests to back up other team members when needed.
- Familiarity with, and strong interest in, Bill.com, alternative payments, emerging payments technology and the payments industry.
We’d love to chat if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or paralegal certification preferred or equivalent experience and evidence of exceptional ability.
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, with effective resolution of conflicting priorities.
- Solid technical acumen which supports mastery of a variety of case management tools.
- Sound and practical business judgment, intellectual curiosity, comfortable and adept at balancing risk and opportunity.
- Excellent communication skills and a team-oriented approach with the ability to build strong and lasting relationships with business partners, customers and management.
- Intellectual curiosity, a desire and alignment with our core values: Humble, Fun, Authentic, Passionate, and Accountable.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and ownership mindset - sees projects through from end to end.
- Critical thinking skills - be able to receive feedback and provide next steps, change direction if needed
- Drive for results - impact/outcome focused.
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid employee health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
This role is based in California.
The estimated base salary range for this role is noted below for our office location in San Jose, CA. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in BILL’s bonus and equity plan. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
For positions that are in office we support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days. Check out our LinkedIn Life Page for each location and Discover BILL.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants