Client Success Manager
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
Betterment for Business is an award winning 401(k) solution that works as hard for your money as you work to earn it. We are currently looking for a Client Success Manager to establish and grow relationships with our enterprise clients. In this role you will work directly with these clients to help bring them a seamless experience operating and growing their 401(k) and supporting their employees. You are experienced in bringing top quality service to enterprise clients in a B2B organization and are enthusiastic about a client driven experience.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $70,000 - $80,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, life and AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter and parking benefits FSA/HSA, and 401(k) with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of a company incentive bonus. For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.
A day in the life
- Delight and expand a growing book of business for our key clients
- Align with clients on the retirement and financial outcomes they are trying to achieve for their employees and assist in outlining a roadmap for success
- Work cross functionally with our Sales and Implementation teams to help streamline the client onboarding experience to maximize their offerings with Betterment
- Deliver retirement plan expertise, education, and guidance to clients and their employees
- Drive participation within your client’s plan focusing on: educational sessions, key collateral to influence rollovers, and thoughtful 401(k) plan design
- Anticipate client risks and strategize ways to mitigate churn
- Uncover opportunities to expand the client’s usage of Betterment’s suite of offerings
- Contribute to a cross functional workplace by working alongside Product, Marketing, Engineering, Compliance and Sales teams to help focus other departments on VOC (voice of customer)
- Perform regular strategy sessions with clients to stay on top of their goals and objectives
What we’re looking for
- 4+ years of experience in a Client Success or Account Management role managing a book of business aligned to helping clients achieve 401(k) plan goals and objectives
- Proven ability to retain clients through risk mitigation, goal alignment, and helping Plan Sponsors maximize their products and offerings
- Proven ability to grow client relationships and maximize revenue
- Effective client stakeholder management ranging from HR Operations all the way up to resonating with VP and C-Suite level
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to present to broad audiences on complex topics like retirement and other financial subjects
- Enthusiasm for a client driven organization and environment
- Experience in retirement services and 401(k) administration is required
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 7 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY