Sr. 401(k) Onboarding Associate
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
The 401(k) Onboarding Associate's main focus is to help guide Betterment at Work’s clients through a pleasant and efficient onboarding experience as they transition their existing 401(k) plan to Betterment (known as a “conversion”).
In this role, the Sr. Onboarding Associate will facilitate a seamless handoff from sales and ensure a successful onboarding with conversion clients. Onboarding consists of assisting the client through their first payroll launch and transition of plan assets on the Betterment platform. The Sr. Onboarding Associate will liaise with the 401(k) Compliance team to help implement a client’s 401(k) plan design and transition plan data and assets. This role reports into the 401(k) Onboarding Manager.
This role is remote eligible. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position in locations with city or state requirements. For those located elsewhere, the actual compensation offered will be based on candidate experience and geographic location. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston & Orange County, CA : $75,000-$85,000
- Other locations: $57,375-$76,500
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, life and AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter and parking benefits FSA/HSA, and 401(k) with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of a company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Manage a book of conversions from start to finish and keep on track through the conversion date
- Review and apply all information relevant to the conversion process of the plan to ensure accuracy, efficiency and effectiveness
- Clearly communicate with and guide our clients through any questions they may have during the onboarding process
- Support the plan conversion process by communicating with other retirement and payroll providers as necessary
- Collaborate with 401(k) compliance and Client Success teams on complex items such as plan design, conversion files, and wires
- Guide the conversion process via virtual client meetings, phone calls, Zooms, and hand-off meetings
- Use systems such as Salesforce, Zendesk, Asana, and our internal tool Clinic to drive client deliverables
What we’re looking for
- 4+ years of experience with 401(k) conversions
- Expertise with customer service, specializing in 401(k) plan lifecycle and administration
- Experience in B2B onboarding environments
- Technical savvy, specifically the ability to navigate multiple complex systems while simultaneously communicating with clients
- Exceptional written communication skills and ability to build rapport - you will speak with our clients through email and over the phone
- Broad understanding of all aspects of 401(k) conversions including payroll, plan design and conversion files (though these items are handled by other teams, you need to understand how to collaborate closely with them)
- Interest in becoming a subject matter expert in 401(k) plans
- Experience working with CRM and project management systems (For example: Zendesk, Salesforce, Asana, etc.)
- Strong organizational and time management skills
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 7 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY