Staff Technical Program Manager
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
The Staff Technical Program Manager (TPM) will play a crucial role in the orchestration of complex technical projects that align with our strategic objectives. For this senior-level individual contributor role, the ideal candidate will have a blend of technical prowess, leadership acumen, and a deep commitment to cross-functional collaboration.
As a Staff Technical Program Manager, you will:
- Drive the delivery of technical projects, processes and programs for key org and company-wide initiatives to ensure cross-functional alignment and accountability.
- Manage the lifecycle of multiple cross-functional projects simultaneously, from planning to launch.
- Guide and manage the usage of Agile methodologies to simplify project delivery.
- Partner with multiple stakeholders and cross functional teams (Product, Engineering, Operations Leadership, Analytics, etc.) to prioritize and maximize the impact of your projects.
- Implement and evangelize process improvements across the Engineering org.
- Streamline collaboration with external partners and vendors to ensure seamless integration of third-party products and services.
- Drive decision-making, fostering alignment and accountability while dealing with ambiguity
- Provide mentorship to more junior team members.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $150,000 - $165,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, life and AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter and parking benefits FSA/HSA, and 401(k) with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of a company incentive bonus. For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.
A day in the life
A Staff TPM bridges the gap between technical intricacies and overarching company goals, ensuring streamlined progress and optimal outcomes for cross-functional projects and programs.
On any given day, a Staff TPM may:
- Partner closely with Engineering Managers and Product Managers to review priorities and project/program statuses.
- Lead or attend Agile ceremonies and other process meetings with cross-functional teams, ensuring alignment and addressing potential roadblocks.
- Coach PDE teams in improving squad-level processes.
- Collaborate with stakeholders in meetings or async on priorities, process and status updates, ensuring alignment across the organization.
- Contribute to risk assessments, resource allocation discussions, and strategic planning sessions.
- Collaborate with external partners, ensuring seamless integration and timely project execution.
What we’re looking for
- 6+ years of technical product/program/project management experience
- Proven experience in managing multi-disciplinary projects and teams, across multiple time zones
- Proficiency in project management tools such as Jira, Monday.com or Asana
- Agile certification required
- A systems thinker, capable of taking a data-driven approach to problem solving and process improvemen
- A track record of communicating effectively and translating between technical and non-technical stakeholders, both written and orally; experienced in tailoring communications and presentations for multiple levels of staff and executives regularly
- Interpersonal skills to build relationships and collaborate with diverse, cross-functional teams
- Someone who is self-motivated, action oriented, pragmatic, and intellectually curious
- A track record of fostering accountability among stakeholders regardless of seniority or tenure
- Nice to haves:
- Experience working in Fintech
- Experience as a software developer and/or systems engineering
- PMP, PgMP, or similar certification
- Experience as an Agile coach
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 7 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY