Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
At Betterment, we work hard to maximize every dollar our customers have entrusted to us. Data plays a critical role in nearly all of our pursuits and operations- it’s core to how we decide the focus of the efforts of hundreds of engineers, product managers, and designers, how we allocate resources to different customer acquisition channels, how we efficiently run the operations of a business that manages over $30 billions dollars of our customers’ money, and much much more.
The analytics team makes an impact across all of Betterment’s organization, partnering with the business to help shape strategy, identify opportunities, and influence product decisions that create the best experience for our users. Projects range from creating beautiful and informative dashboards that provide a pulse on the business to delving deep into customer behavior to make game-changing discoveries about how we can improve our business and make our product better for our customers.
In this role, you will be a Lead Analyst with the ability to have a direct impact working across our business lines. You’ll be given the opportunity to deeply research the most important priorities in our business, as well as the opportunity to identify and surface priorities we’ve yet to identify. You will partner closely with our product, engineering, finance, strategy, customer support and marketing teams to improve business performance and deliver the best product we can to our customers.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including, but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $130,000 - $155,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, and a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a discretionary company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Collaborate with stakeholders such as product, marketing and sales to create actionable insights and recommendations for change through data-driven analysis
- Partner with product management end-to-end on analytics, including implementing event tracking alongside our Engineering team, quantifying the impact of features through A/B testing, and monitoring performance to better understand customer behavior
- Create intuitive data visualizations that help senior leadership make key decisions
- Produce and deliver research reports on topics that are most important to driving Betterment’s growth
What we’re looking for
- Strong SQL skills to efficiently pull insights from our thoughtfully curated and well-modeled Redshift datawarehouse
- A deep familiarity with R, Python, Julia, etc that will allow you to produce more complex and statistically-driven analyses than can be performed in BI tooling
- A familiarity with Looker, Tableau, or other BI tools to quickly answer straightforward stakeholder questions about business performance
- A powerful combination of technical expertise, curiosity, business acumen, and willingness to work hard to pull groundbreaking insights from our data
- Experience understanding customer behavior metrics, such as funnel conversion, user churn, lifetime value (LTV) and cross-sell metrics
- Experience with experimentation and hypothesis testing, with strongly held opinions on A/B testing
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY
For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.
Something looks off?