Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services include mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the value in each person's perspective and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it's important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better.com is looking for a highly motivated Payroll Manager to join the Accounting team. Sitting at the intersection of Accounting and People Operations, this role will oversee the payroll processing team. The ideal candidate thrives in fast-paced environments with moving targets. They are interested and informed on emerging technologies and someone who is always looking for improvement, and efficiency in processes.
Responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing the timely processing of US payroll each pay period, including the preparation of corresponding reconciliations. Reviewing payroll schedules for completeness and accuracy prior to approving for processing. Troubleshooting and resolving current and historical issues, as needed.
- Partnering with the People Operations and Legal teams on employee record keeping and payroll process management. Provide ad hoc reports and analysis to various internal stakeholders.
- Assisting with driving the implementation of ADP Workforce Now.
- Supporting external financial and payroll-related audits.
- Building and maintaining employee confidence and trust by promptly responding to requests and protecting the confidentiality of payroll operations.
- Complying with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
- 5+ years progressive experience as a payroll specialist, with at least 2 years of management experience
- Experience with Payroll, Benefits, and HRIS systems, preferably Workday and ADP Workforce Now
- Strong knowledge and experience with US labor law, tax and compliance as well as all federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, including COBRA, FMLA, and DOL/FLSA requirements.
- Detail oriented, deadline driven and work well under pressure with a high degree of accuracy
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely in oral and written form across teams
- Ability to comfortably interact with employees of all levels of experience and seniority, across the organization and uses discretion when dealing with sensitive employee payroll and benefit matter
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.
Something looks off?